News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

what polish to use ?

Started by LoveOldPhones, November 02, 2016, 05:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoveOldPhones

I just bought a 10 button touch tone phone on eBay..... a beautiful aqua blue.
I don't know if the people I got it from sanded it or what....  but the finish on the case and the handset is really dull.
this is a 1966 500 set.

what can I use to bring back the shine ?
I have had NO luck with any polishes I have tried.

what will make it nice and shiny again ?

thanks for your help.

TelePlay

Novus II.

Here it is in one eBay listing. Lot of suppliers on line or from local plastic stores, stores that sell plastic things.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Novus-Plastic-Polish-2-64oz-/380924350800

Search the forum for novus and you will get many hits as to how to use it and what it does.

WEBellSystemChristian

Another alternative (if you don't want to wait for Novus to be delivered) is Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. To this day, I have not even used Novus, I find Meguiar's is just about the same, and is almost half the price. I get mine from the auto care section at Walmart.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

LoveOldPhones

Quote from: TelePlay on November 02, 2016, 05:23:09 PM
Novus II.

Here it is in one eBay listing. Lot of suppliers on line or from local plastic stores, stores that sell plastic things.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Novus-Plastic-Polish-2-64oz-/380924350800

Search the forum for novus and you will get many hits as to how to use it and what it does.

Thanks but that is way more than I need.... does it come in a smaller size... and is it available in stores ?

LoveOldPhones

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on November 02, 2016, 08:14:07 PM
Another alternative (if you don't want to wait for Novus to be delivered) is Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. To this day, I have not even used Novus, I find Meguiar's is just about the same, and is almost half the price. I get mine from the auto care section at Walmart.

This looks like a better idea to me.... I would rather get it at walmart.  I hope it's not some hugh size though....  I only have one phone I want to use this on.
at least for now.  lol 
thanks alot.

TelePlay

Quote from: LoveOldPhones on November 02, 2016, 08:17:08 PM
Thanks but that is way more than I need.... does it come in a smaller size... and is it available in stores ?

It comes in 2oz bottles. Check out your local motor cycle dealership, company that sells plexiglass, hardware stores, boat stores, etc. Any place that sells something that has plastic or plexiglass on their products.

You can never have enough but here is that the small bottles sell for on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Novus-plastic-polish-2-2oz-bottle-/391491152210

Pourme

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on November 02, 2016, 08:14:07 PM

Thanks for that Christian...I'm running low on Novis 2.... I'll try your suggestion
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

WEBellSystemChristian

It is a larger bottle, but they also sell the same product in much smaller bottles for headlight restoration and scratch removal. There are other companies that make products for those same purposes; anything along those lines should work, and they all are sold at Walmart.

Be careful; many products are marketed as 'polish', like Nu Finish, but it's just a wax. If the instructions basically tell you to just 'wipe on, wipe off', avoid it for what you want to do.

You might want to get the bigger bottle. It's surprising how much polish you end up using on one phone!
Christian Petterson

LoveOldPhones

GREAT !   thanks everyone.... I will get both and see which one works better.  Like I said... I need it for one phone.

Pourme

Quote from: LoveOldPhones on November 02, 2016, 08:50:18 PM
GREAT !   thanks everyone.... I will get both and see which one works better.  Like I said... I need it for one phone.

Yeah, I've heard that before... "one phone"

Then you get telephoneitis.....
Benny

twocvbloke

I've just been using my Peek metal polish for plastics, used it for a nice, well, nicer (still got scratches in it), finish on my Pioneer PL-400 turntable lid, with a few more polishes I'm sure I'd get it nice and scratch-free... :)

Doesn't seem to do well on soft plastic, that or the phone I tried had suffered mould or solvent splashes in its lifetime (it's a black 500, so only noticeable up close), but for the most part, hard plastics come up nicely so long as the scratches are superficial and not gouges... :)

LoveOldPhones

Quote from: Pourme on November 02, 2016, 09:09:41 PM
Yeah, I've heard that before... "one phone"

Then you get telephoneitis.....

HAHAHAHA !  well.... it is for one phone.  I never have bought a phone that didn't have a nice high polish on it....  but this one I just got doesn't.... its very dull.
but... i know what you mean by that telephone disease.   I have it..... just trying very hard not to be stupid about it. lol

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: LoveOldPhones on November 02, 2016, 11:05:26 PM
HAHAHAHA !  well.... it is for one phone.  I never have bought a phone that didn't have a nice high polish on it....  but this one I just got doesn't.... its very dull.
but... i know what you mean by that telephone disease.   I have it..... just trying very hard not to be stupid about it. lol
We aren't stupid...we just selectively accumulate... ;D
Christian Petterson

LoveOldPhones

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on November 02, 2016, 11:16:17 PM
We aren't stupid...we just selectively accumulate... ;D

well... in my case.... I could get REAL stupid about it.  there are alot I see I would like to have.   I don't have that many because I won't allow myself but there are still one or two I would LOVE to have.  I guess I'll worry about that when they show up..... IF they show up.
but I am weak.... and if the ones I want can be had.... well.... I'll cave.

till then.... I am trying not to be too stupid about about this telephone disease.  LOL

Pourme

Quote from: LoveOldPhones on November 03, 2016, 02:16:32 AM
well... in my case.... I could get REAL stupid about it.  there are alot I see I would like to have.   I don't have that many because I won't allow myself but there are still one or two I would LOVE to have.  I guess I'll worry about that when they show up..... IF they show up.
but I am weak.... and if the ones I want can be had.... well.... I'll cave.

till then.... I am trying not to be too stupid about about this telephone disease.  LOL

I feel the same way....as I sit here, at my desk...not my phone room.....with 23 (polished) phones (i just counted them) close enough I could spit on them...(but I won't)
Benny