2 (50%)
Western Electric 301A w/pony receiver, *ABT Co* transmitter.  Original finish
4 (100%)
Western Electric 301A w/pony receiver, *250* transmitter.  Original finish
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: September 23, 2014, 02:46:30 PM

Sargeguy

I have come to the realization that I don't need 4 301As.  I decided to do a side by side comparison of the merits and flaws of each and determine who the winnner is!  The winner gets to hang in the phone room.  The runner up will hang in the shop.  The other two will be going up for sale. The candidates are: 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Candidate #1 comes to us from eBay. 

PROS:  Excellent wood, wiring is intact.  Pasrt are all original.  Looks good after shellacing and sanding the exterior.  Original rattlesnake cord is nice. 
CONS: She was stripped and stained by the previous owner and was missing several screws, which were replaced with brass versions.  Her brass parts have  lost most  of their nickel and have been swapped out.  Replacement receiver cap.

PRICE $80
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Candidate #2 comes to us from eBay. 

PROS:  Decent wood, wiring is intact.  Parts are all original to the phone.
CONS: Has been refinished and re-nickeled.  Needs new writing shelf, which has been swapped with Contestant #1s

PRICE: $189
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Candidate #3 comes to us from eBay. 

PROS:  Very nice wood, wiring is intact.  Parts are all original to the phone. ABT Co. transmitter.  Original finish
CONS: Missing some screws.  Original finish looks a little shabby. Replacement rattle snake cord.

PRICE: $340
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Candidate #4 comes to us from eBay. 

PROS:  Came as a box of parts that included the pony receiver, 7-digit transmitter and magneto.  Two side screws are used to hold the writing shelf in place, rather than the front, as in the other three.  The hole for the receiver cord is also placed differetly.
CONS: Backboard was sawn in two and mended, wiring is a mess.  Refinished.  Cannibalized at an early date for pony receiver and 7-digit transmitter.  The writing shelf fits, but has the diagram of a 312 on the bottom.
PRICE: $135
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Keep in mind I can swap out the transmitters and receivers among phones, and it is unlikely that I will be putting an ABT Co. transmitter (or 7-digit) on eBay. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

Since you have so many of these, I have a couple questions for you.  The writing shelf on my 301a screws down from the side - one screw on either side.  The other 301a's that I've seen pictures of have a single screw from the front.  How do yours screw down?  Did they change over the years?  Also, mine has a capacitor above the generator, but another 301a I saw does not have the capacitor and the wiring diagram does not show one.  Do any of yours have a cap?  Last question - I can not find a wiring diagram for the 301 nor the 288 on the TCI website.  Does the site have the wiring diagrams and I just can't find them?
Dave

Sargeguy

I have both versions, 1 with side screws and three with a front screw.  None of mine have condensers, it seems like that was a modification for Common Battery.  There is a 301A diagram in the Wiring Diagrams Section:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11251.0 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

Thanks.  It appears that there is a cap. in the wiring diagram, in line with the transmitter?  Or is that a ground?  I'll have to trace my wires and see it my condenser is for the receiver. 
Dave

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

yes, it's the battery.  So I just need to trace the wires on my cap and see why it's there.  It sure does look original, and it has clearly been there a long time.  Maybe it was converted to Common Battery as you stated. 
Dave

poplar1

More likely the capacitor is in series with the receiver. This was optional, but a good idea where some people forgot to hang up their receivers (after eavesdropping?). The lower resistance of a receiver, compared to the ringer coils, would make signaling difficult with one or more phones off-hook.

The following is from a booklet on the (1)317, which was the model that followed the (1)301A:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
How to Install a Condenser
It is sometimes desirable to connect a condenser in
series with the receiver in order to insure that the bell
can be rung even if the receiver is left off the hook.
Instructions are given below as to the method of con-
necting the condenser, as some of the No. 1317 telephone
sets are furnished without condensers.
<snip>
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the TCI library:
http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/1796-western-electric-1317-wood-wall-magneto-telephone-care-and-operation-tl

(If the phone was converted to common battery, the generator would no longer need to be connected, but a condenser would be required in series with the ringer.)

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

yes, the back of the phone and the inside of the door is marked 301A
Dave