News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Confirming this is a Western Electric 302

Started by skucera, January 09, 2019, 12:35:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skucera

OK, this is the third attempt to start a new thread tonight.  Let's see if I can create a thread, and then populate it with pictures....

Thanks to rdelius for mentioning the 302.  I googled that and realized I had one in the collection.

Scott

P.S.--The problem is that if I attempt to load six photos at once the server throws an error and displays only a white page.  If I load one photo, the server is so old that it doesn't recognize the orientation property encoded into the JPEG file, and it displays the image upside-down.  I've got to dig out some seriously old image editing software to prepare images for this forum.  It's a curious challenge....

Babybearjs

I had the same problem and discovered there is a limit on the size (mb) of the files. anything LARGER than 3 MB's won't work... it has to do with resolution, or something like that....
John

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

Note that pictures taken with at least some phones and cameras store EXIF information with the image which includes the orientation, so if you take a picture with your camera or phone upside-down, the actual image will be upside-down, but the EXIF information will indicate that the camera was upside-down.  Some image handling software will use the EXIF information and display the image properly, but some will ignore that information and display the image as it is, upside-down.  There are a number of free image manipulation programs available, such as GIMP and IrfanView.

Larry

skucera

Alright, I've got the images resaved with the orientation natively correct.

I also found an old reference to different RJ plug formats, and this phone's plug is one of the little-used variants.

Scott

TelePlay

GLOBAL MODERATOR POST

If the image is greater than 3.2 MBytes, the security check and recode stack will overflow causing the SMF software to crash on the upload leaving only a white screen.

Read #4 a, b and c in at this link.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18551.0

In short, images with the largest side being about 3000 pixels will always upload. Use MS Paint to rotate, crop and resize images to 3000 x <3000 (a total image file size of under 3.2 MBytes) and they will upload.

skucera

Thanks for that hint!  I'll do that with the next phone.

Scott

TelePlay

GLOBAL MODERATOR POST

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on January 09, 2019, 10:03:27 AM
Note that pictures taken with at least some phones and cameras store EXIF information with the image which includes the orientation, so if you take a picture with your camera or phone upside-down, the actual image will be upside-down, but the EXIF information will indicate that the camera was upside-down.  Some image handling software will use the EXIF information and display the image properly, but some will ignore that information and display the image as it is, upside-down.  There are a number of free image manipulation programs available, such as GIMP and IrfanView.

That is correct. The SMF software puts a thumbnail of the uploaded image into the reply. If the image is clicked on, the image will expand to full size and if the rotation information is still in the image EXIF or meta data, it will display correctly.

The SMF (Forum) security software does two things, one being stripping 98% of the meta data off of images, including the rotation data. The best way to upload images is to load them into GIMP, Irfanview or MS Paint (comes with every Windows OS), rotate the image, crop the image and resize the image to 3000 by less than 3000 pixels, save the image and it will always upload and display correctly. The 600 by 400 pixel images you are uploading will not expand and will not show detail. Try to create images that are between 2000 and 3000 pixels on the largest size at 72 DPI for the best resolution and detail.

This is all explained in detail in this board.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?action=pm

Jim Stettler

That is what is typically called a 302.
I call it a 302-type phone. The actual model number should be stamped on the phone.
You can check the model number against Paul F.'s site
http://www.paul-f.com/index.html
Paul is more accurate and calls them  300-type phones.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

HarrySmith

Nice looking 302! That dial ring is very white, is it an overlay?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Butch Harlow

If you look inside the rear mouse hole (where the wall cord comes out) you should see H1 in vermillion ink. That is the code designation for a 302 set. If it says AA-1 its minus ringer, network, and condenser for use with a subset. If it is stamped AB-1 it is a 251 set for use on independent telcos. If its it's anything other that a 302, for example a 304 it will be stamped on the bottom. Also, the handset will give it away usually if it's original. It'll say bell system if it's a 302. It will be devoid of bell system markings if intended for independents.
Butch Harlow

skucera

Harry, yes it appears to be a thick white plastic overlay, but it also looks original to the phone.

Butch, I don't see anything in the mouse hole I didn't see any codes in vermilion ink.  I opened the cover to see if it was stamped somewhere nearby, but there wasn't anything.  The handset is marked "Bell System" so that leads me to believe that it is just a nice example of an old 302.

Jack, my stepdad, had this phone next to his chair in the living room, so I think it was one of his favorites.  I think he rebuilt it himself because there are lacquered tapes on several wires with the names of the colors.  Jack was color blind, which must have made identifying wires tricky, but he compensated well enough to be an installer for 40 years.  The attention to detail with new lacquer on all the cloth-wrapped wires is really cool.

Scott

Key2871

Scott, Butch ment with the cover off, there should be vermilion ink with the marking H1, very near the mouse hole inside the cover.
KEN

Babybearjs

you know these are some of the best phones to own! My first one was only $7.95, and I still have it! (along with about 10 duplicates!) the simpleist phone to repair and the ringer is so nice and loud! I have ringer cut-off switches on a lot of the ones in the house... it only takes 1 phone, and everyone knows the phones ringing!
John