News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Bk Precision 1050

Started by bobv, January 10, 2019, 08:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

With a 1045/1050 you may be able to adjust a dial to show correct digits.
That is not calibration, that is "tweaking" a dial. Tweaking a dial may work to get it to dial out on a 616.
Again, this is not calibrating a dial, It is tweaking it.
You should also clean and lube a dial per BSP spec before trying to adjust it. Many times that is all that is needed.

Calibration is a precise term. You can not calibrate a dial with a 1045/1050.

Stan S. did offer a TT Calibration unit on Ebay. With it you could precisely tune a old TT dial with the tuning pots.
If the TT is precisely tuned it could be considered calibrated.

As a guess, you may be able to tune a TT dial with a 1050 and oscilloscope. It seems to me that it would be possible.

JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

HarrySmith

Have we beaten this horse enough?

Obviously the points have been made. A dial can only be precisely calibrated with specialized equipment. It may be tested and even made to work in any number of ways but that is not calibratiing it. Big difference, miniscule wording differences.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 13, 2019, 01:15:17 PM
Have we beaten this horse enough?

Obviously the points have been made. A dial can only be precisely calibrated with specialized equipment. It may be tested and even made to work in any number of ways but that is not calibratiing it. Big difference, miniscule wording differences.
I agree
>MODIFIED<
My last point was>Early tt with adjustable pots<
TT may be able to be calibrated with a 1050 and scope. It is reasonable to consider.

regarding wording. It is key. Should and shall mean totally different things  in code speak.
As an educational forum we need to clarify these things.
It is not being picky, it is being precise.
Thank-you  for the use of your phone stool Ken,
Jim S.

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Key2871

Very well put Harry, lol I couldn't have said it better myself..
Newer TT dials are chip run so calibration is not even a consideration. Just for those newbs that may not know...

Ken
KEN

TelePlay

Quote from: bobv on January 13, 2019, 12:14:51 PM
In my previous post, I requested if anyone has tested a dial with SAGE 930A, they can post a video.
Also, if anyone tested the same dial with 1045A and 1050, a video can be posted.  The videos of both SAGE 930A and BK 1045A/1050 can be compared.  would you like to do that?  Images would not tell the testing or how it is done or any details like video:) (photoshop can create any type of images too :)

I keep saying BK 1045A/1050 are simple methods to use.  SAGE 930A has sophisticated testing results.  I can't say any clearer than this.
I am using all three equipment and some prototypes. I pick and choose what I feel like to test the dial with.  This is my method and make the dial working.  There are times I don't calibrate the dial at all.  all that is needed is cleaning.  that's my experience having to deal with many dials (about 400 dials).  If I have to get those fixed to original spec by paying $6 per dial plus packaging/shipping/etc., it is costly and I would not learn much about the dials.  My way is hands-on and try different equipment. I am sharing my experience and some video in this forum.  I also shared some reference that others have done.  If anyone likes to use these equipment, it is their choice.

Yes, Harry, this horse is dead. Has been for several days. Just waiting for confirmation, which I now have, before writing this final reply, the last word.

The above quoted reply demonstrates the lack of willingness to learn correct procedures and techniques along with the a strong desire for to continue to take short cuts to "fix" a dial that will harm the dial. Citric acid in an ultrasonic aqueous bath getting into the mainspring shaft raceway during cleaning will certainly "fix" a dial over a few months time, and, yes, that was a sarcastic comment. You can pick and chose anything including a 10 pound sledge hammer to fix a dial but in reality, there is a correct way to calibrate a dial and constantly adhering to the harmful and/or incorrect method of dial repair demonstrates nothing more than obstinateness.

The only thing keeping this topic from being deleted in its entirety are several posts within it which discuss and explain the proper instruments needed to correctly calibrate a dial to get it into manufacture's specifications.

A video without annotation, without an audio track or without a step by step text within the post is worthless, meaningless and a waste of time to both post it and for a member to read it.

Here's an equivalent scneario the this topic: I could post an F1 video from 5 years ago showing Michael Schumacher in a Ferrari or Sebastian Vettel in a Renault doing 300+ mph on the back stretch of the Italian Grand Prix without supporting explanation, context, audio track or annotation but that would not prove I even have a drivers license much less being able to drive one of those cars.

This forum was not created for videos and the body of work posted on this forum is not video based

As for dial calibration, "fixing" a dial as you say, it was first discussed CORRECTLY on the forum in October of 2010 and way back then, Dennis Hallworth (dencins) got the "rocket science" correct and posted a wave form of a dial pulsing (PPS and B/M ratio) which is identical to that one can easily obtain from using Audacity with a 1/8" plug, a short 2 or 3 conductor cable and two alligator clip leads.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=226.msg46563#msg46563

This reinventing the wheel and coming up with a rectangle on your axle is worthless except for the many attempts other member have made to try to help you understand the CORRECT way a dial is calibrated and the importance of correct calibration.

You might ask, what's wrong with an unsupported video? Or what's really better than a video? Well, anything with detail. Check out this work done by Jorge Amerly and Dennis Markham (all of which are cleaning a dial, calibration was not part of these instructional posts) and easily found by using the forum search function:

North Electric Model 541 Dial Overhaul Procedure

Automatic Electric Dial Overhaul

7D Dial Cleaning & Lubrication

All of these examples are highly education and worthy of being posted on the forum to help others who may be interested in learning the right way to clean a dial. While the above posts are just an example of how a detailed post should be done to help and educate members, they do not get into calibration which was covered in several replies in this topic, the only reason this topic will not be deleted in its entirety.

With that said, this topic will now be locked and preserved in place as a "how not to fix" a dial. Being locked, no further posts will be allowed and any new topics that begin and progress in the way this topic did (topics based on technical ignorance, posting incorrect help, failure to demonstrate a desire to learn and posting nothing more than an external link to another person's without attribution) will be summarily deleted without explanation.

PS:  And $6 being too much to spend to have a dial restored and calibrated correctly? Thanks for the laugh. Proves you know nothing about proper dial reconditioning and calibration, the cost of personal time to do it right and quality of work available for just $6.

TOPIC LOCKED: 01/13/2019