News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Circa 1900 Lamp/Lighting/Sterilizer/Inhaler Handheld Device, or something else

Started by Doug Rose, December 23, 2017, 08:33:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Before I start to work on this, any idea what it is. I bought it hoping I could use the glass mouthpiece. I took a gamble. Your thoughts?

https://tinyurl.com/y9wkchev
Kidphone

Stubbypylon

My thoughts are - great score on a glass mouthpiece Doug!  The item though I have no idea.  It looks like it could be some sort of lamp or torch.
Craig Stanowski

Doug Rose

thanks Craig....looking at it it looks like a match. I will work on it today. Freezing rain in MA this morning....perfect weather to be in the dungeon....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

It is a WE thread!! Sometimes you bite the bear! This has not been cleaned yet! The light base looks like it is nickel underneath the paint. I am stripping it now.....well worth the gamble....Doug
Kidphone

Pourme

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

AL_as_needed

Have to wonder if that was a mouthpiece that some had added to the mystery device, or if the threading happens to be something of a standard for that time. Not a big stretch to assume the same firms that made parts for WE made other items for other firms.
TWinbrook7

Doug Rose

and here is the base that has a WE * MP in it....Doug
Kidphone

AL_as_needed

Anything inside of it like a bulb socket or wiring? For 1900's, not sure if battery tech was that small then to make a turn of the century MAG Lite  8) Although, could make an interesting flashlight with today's LEDs hidden in there.
TWinbrook7

Doug Rose

nothing inside....I don't think it is chrome, just shiny metal. Flash makes it look worse that it is... Four Grand children just arrived.....done for today....Doug
Kidphone

AL_as_needed

TWinbrook7

TelePlay

I'll take 3 stabs are what is it?

1) Steampunk, one of the earliest known to man

2) A single valve device with part of it missing, maybe a horn at the end opposite the glass mouthpiece, used to produce, amplify and change pursed-lip sounds entering into the glass mouth piece end with the sound changed by pressing or releasing the valve, a one valve musical instrument if you will. An instrument or a whistle.

3) Something worth a gazillion bucks to the person who can attach the correct provenance and add that to a relist on eBay.

Here is a variation on the theme of #2 above

Doug Rose

John....I am sure I got a great WE  glass mouthpiece and a very cool piece of history, although not sure just what it is.  Cleaned up great and I will display it in the Phoneroom. Can't beat it for $10. I might make it into a lamp or leave it as is. It is an  attention getter......Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

Doug,

What is the function of the knob on top of the tube/rod going into the cylinder?

And, is the part the comes out of the bottom of the small tube to the big tube hollow or solid?

Doug Rose

Press the knob it shoots air into the big tube via the small tube that is hollow. There is a release tab next to the button. It is just the coolest piece. I purchased it to get the MP but I am very happy with whatever it is   8).....Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

It might be the obvious, A mouthpiece steriliser.chemicals or powder forced through the holes