"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

EBAY $1000.00 phone

Started by NorthernMan, March 27, 2011, 08:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthernMan

Kenny C

I am not getting an auction. I am getting a sign in page.

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Ed D

Wow.  Maybe the fact that "There are some nasty looking nicks here and there, and a scratch  on the display" adds to the value.  Or else it's really a rare model?

TelePlay

The winner really wanted it. Bid $800, then $900 and finally something probably well over $1,000 to get it at a dollar over the standing $999 bid, all in less than 15 seconds.

While we will never know, it always interesting to speculate on how much that final bid really was, how much over the buy was willing to go.

But we will never know, and, yes, it doesn't really matter. What we do know is that the buyer has a $1,000 brick with no analog networks left anywhere to use it on. A true brick.

bingster

Sell 'em, Northern!  They tend to go for a princely sum on ebay.
= DARRIN =

DavePEI

Quote from: bingster on March 27, 2011, 11:32:27 PM
Sell 'em, Northern!  They tend to go for a princely sum on ebay.

Yah.. I may sell the early Brick phone I have too at that price! It cost me nothing and appeared on CBC National News in a news report about cell phone radiation, as is bricks were the first cell phone, and mine was among the first ones made. It was very short clip in their story, but still added to it, and people got to see the museum. Now, that should make it worth a couple of grand  ;).

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

GG

Probably because it was one of the first commonly available cellphones, which makes it as rare as a 1950 WE 500.

Or perhaps because it's a cellphone that's almost ergonomically correct?  It does seem to have an earpiece that would roughly fit the human ear, and enough distance from receiver to transmitter that one might be able to perch it on a shoulder.  Unlike the candy-bar-sized things they have today, that do neither.  With analog audio on those things, they might even have sounded as good as WE 202s.