News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Zombie Dave's new addiction.

Started by Zombie Dave, March 17, 2018, 09:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zombie Dave

Well,  I bought another one. This one is a 1978 WE wall phone. 

I'm a newbie, guessing that the cord is mismatched.  It's newer than what I think I want to put into the kitchen,  but I bought it anyway.  I'd like to buy another receiver for it as the one it currently has,  the mouth piece appears to be stuck and I'm unsure but it might have a crack.

I'll be reading up on these too!

Zombie Dave

The ivory one is my first one.  It's dated on the bottom 1983. It's also a WE and one that I've been getting a lot of help with here.  I've got the dial mechanism off to ship off to get checked out/ repaired.

The light blue one is the one I bought second.  Another WE from 1958 ( at least stamped on the underside ).

I'm finding that I'm enjoying collecting these and actually being able to use them and swap them out at will,  providing they are working. 

AL_as_needed

I too have a light blue set, it always seems to get the most attention from non-collectors. Also, I have to say that back drop (wall paper?) behind it really looks the era!
TWinbrook7

paul-f

Quote from: Zombie Dave on March 17, 2018, 09:07:19 PM
... guessing that the cord is mismatched.  ... the mouth piece appears to be stuck and I'm unsure but it might have a crack.

True. The color of the original cord would have matched the phone housing.  The beauty of modular cords is that they're simple to swap.

I grew up in a house with an earlier black 554 with metal fingerwheel and hardwired cords on a kitchen wall. We had a 15 foot handset cord to make it easy to talk while working and walking around. The only issue was the when on-hook the cord looped down far enough that it was a popular cat toy.

A forum search will provide some good options for dealing with stuck handset caps -- strap wrenches, heating and cooling, ... etc. -- and repairing or at least strengthening cracks.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Pourme

As Paul referred to, use a hair dryer to the stubborn cap heating it up, that works in most cases.

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

AL_as_needed

Quote from: Pourme on March 18, 2018, 08:17:34 AM
As Paul referred to, use a hair dryer to the stubborn cap heating it up, that works in most cases.

Benny

Hmmm.... never thought of that! Learning everyday.
TWinbrook7

Zombie Dave

Quote from: AL_as_needed on March 18, 2018, 01:18:26 AM
I too have a light blue set, it always seems to get the most attention from non-collectors. Also, I have to say that back drop (wall paper?) behind it really looks the era!

It's my favorite phone so far.  :)
Thank you.  That's a canvas I painted last Saturday.  I've recently really been interested in the 1950's and collecting so i decided to paint something to fill some wall space. Atomic era I think is my favorite.

Zombie Dave

The collection grows. 

Zombie Dave

Some are pretty rough. I'm officially the cat lady of phones.

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RB

yup, you can see the lumps appearing more n more...

Zombie Dave

This one was from my mom for an early birthday present.  This will be one of the ones I'll have restored. 

Zombie Dave

Thank you for the replies and suggestions.  I'll give those a go. :)

Zombie Dave

Picked this one up today.  Not really one I think of myself as collecting,  but paid $15.00 for it with a box of other phones and cords.  Stromberg Carlson. 

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Zombie Dave on July 07, 2018, 04:48:28 PM
Picked this one up today.  Not really one I think of myself as collecting,  but paid $15.00 for it with a box of other phones and cords.  Stromberg Carlson. 
And the slow infiltration sets in......
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.