News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

. . . if the world were forced to only have landline telephone, again . . .

Started by TelePlay, June 06, 2018, 08:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsowers

FYI, that's Holly Hunter on the left and Mariska Hargitay on the right. Mariska's mom was the late actress and bombshell Jayne Mansfield, so I bet that had something to do with her preferring the old-style pink phones.

I last used a smartphone in November, 2013 before I retired and haven't touched one since, and have never once missed it. If I'm going to browse the internet, it won't be peering into a smartphone. I like to see the big picture. I applaud the current movement to get away from them, but I bet it won't make much difference because of the addictive nature of them.
Jonathan

HarrySmith

Quote from: jsowers link=topic=982.msg210822
I last used a smartphone in November, 2013 before I retired and haven't touched one since, and have never once missed it. If I'm going to browse ithe internet, it won't be peering into a smartphone. I like to see the big picture. I applaud the current movement to get away from them, but I bet it won't make much difference because of the addictive nature of them.

You have not used a cell phone at all?? Hoe do you survive??
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

jsowers

Quote from: HarrySmith on June 06, 2018, 02:01:06 PM
You have not used a cell phone at all?? Hoe do you survive??

I keep my car serviced well so it doesn't break down and I don't have a spouse or children to have to know what they're doing every minute of every day. I actually plan ahead and print out directions if I need them, so I don't need a GPS either. I only broke down once in 28 years on the way to and from work--a flat tire with a roofing nail in it. Someone who worked in my office recognized my car and stopped to help me. I guess I'm in a very small minority. I can well afford to pay for a cell phone, but I choose not to use one for many reasons I won't go into here.

I have used a cell phone when I was working. I had four of them including an Apple iPhone at the end. They rarely worked inside the school buildings I had to be in and I also carried a pager that did work inside those buildings until they did away with them. I also carried a cordless Cisco IP phone that worked using the wireless in each school. It was hit or miss sometimes. You had to have a strong signal. I gave all those up when I retired and haven't missed them one bit.

Sorry to go off-topic. Here's something I always found funny. I carried all that stuff so the people in the office could get ahold of me at a moment's notice and I also had to complete work orders as I left the building, even if school was dismissing and I had to leave in a hurry. It was so they would know where I had been and what I did there. What always amazed me was I would get a call asking "where are you?" Here they had all that info I filled out in the work order and they wouldn't use it for the purpose they said it was for. Some techs carried not only the work cell and work cordless IP, but their own personal cell phone too. That's a lot to keep track of!
Jonathan

Doug Rose

I have never owned a cell phone, but have paid for many with a wife and three now grown children.  I have worked for the same company for 22 years and have a BlackBerry so I can get my email and make and receive calls.

I am not checking my B.B. every second like the younger generation. I always said when I retire I will not have a cell. 

BUT...I will get a cheapie just in case I need to make a call, AAA or an emergency...or someone find me in case of an emergency.

I agree with the sentiment. I hate seeing the younger generation never in the place they are in. They are living in a cell phone. Walking and staring at that little screen.....Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

I have two 'cellphones' - an English 'mobile' phone, and a French 'portable' phone.
And they both always have flat batteries when I need to use one of them.   ::)  ;D
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

AL_as_needed

In my ironic case... I need my cellphone to give life to my "land-line" (XLink)....
TWinbrook7

PhilFone

What a fun and certainly no-chance-for-that-to-happen question. I used a cable modem with voice service(Comcast) to use a couple old phones - princess and a dial-wall phone. My wife loves the old phones and hates holding a cell phone. I can take or leave using a cell phone. I don't use GPS and just refer to maps and draw my routes. I know, old-school isn't it? I spend more time on this iMac than a cell phone - screen is just too tiny to enjoy content. People are glued to their cell phones-funny seeing people gazing at a little device so much...on the elevators, cafes, grocery stores while being checked out for groceries, in the libraries(!)..and just walking down the street flailing their hands all over the place while talking to someone, sometimes you think they're practicing theatre. I'm glad I got to experience the world before cell phones and computers even if I made a living working with computers.

Babybearjs

John

19and41

I have a smart phone mainly for emergencies and for directions, and for something to do while waiting for the doctor, dentist or whomever else needs to be waited on.  It is a godsend when I need it.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke