News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My christmas gift from my parents.

Started by AET, December 25, 2009, 02:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AET

Haven't gotten it yet, it's supposed to be here tomorrow.  I have no clue what it is.  Dad said he tried very very hard to get me a candlestick, but he said he spent a month getting outbid.  He said he saw me looking at a 202 with no dial and decided to find me a phone with no dial on it.  I do have the pics from the eBay listing.

- Tom

LarryInMichigan

Tom,

That's a Leich phone, just like the one in my in my profile (look to the left).  Mine is my favorite phone, and it was cheap.  I saw the one in your pics on ebay the other day.  The thing to note with these phones is that apparently, most were made to work with a local battery subset.  I actually bought two of them, and one had no internal parts other than a hook switch and terminal strip.  The other included an inductor and capacitor, but I needed to rearrange the wiring to make it work properly since it had been wired for a local battery.  It works well now.  I plan to add a dial to it soon.

BTW, the shell and handset are bakelite, and the cradle is painted zinc.

Larry

AET

That's good to know.  I didn't have a Leich phone, or any phone this old for that matter.  I cannot wait to get it.  Hopefully it isn't a local battery phone, so I can get it up and working!
- Tom

LarryInMichigan

Tom,

There was a thread recently about my Leich phones: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1556.0.  There are pictures of my phones there.

Larry

Dan/Panther

Is Leich pronounced "Like", or "Leech" ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Phonesrfun

Pronounced as in "Like", unless you want to put in a slight German gutteral "ch" at the end that sounds like a throat-clearing sound.  However, a straight "Like" will normally do just fine.

I have heard it called "Leech" before, back in the olden days, the company I worked for that was on the GTE system had a Leich PBX.  The phone guys used to call it the "Leech box"

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

AET

Very interesting.  I read your thread.  Hopefully, since the one I'm getting seems to resemble the later Leich phone you got, it will be the same internally, and therefore usable.
- Tom

Jim Stettler

I posted a photo on off topic christmas. My Santa phone is based on that model. Including the handset.
A common variation is the Leich Beehive, it has a magneto mounted at the base, which then attatches to the wall.. It is a nice gift.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

wds

Kind of a late followup to this posting, but I have a Leich phone like the one pictured above, with the inductor and cap, and would like to add an AE dial.  Does anyone have a correct wiring diagram for the dial installation?  Unfortunately mine is missing the base plate, but I'll find one someday on Ebay I'm sure.  When I got the phone it was a mess, but it cleaned up very nicely. 
Dave

Wallphone

You can find the wiring schematic in the TCI Library. Look at the model 90.
> http://www.telephonecollectors.org/library/leich/leich.htm <
That style Leich phone did not have a ringer in it.
You would need a bell box that they made for the bottom of the phone. See pic.
Dougpav

wds

I've looked at all the schematics on the TCI Library, but the induction coil on the model 90 has 6 terminals, mine only has 5 and more closely resembles the schematic for the model 86.  I believe my phone is the model 62 or maybe a 37?  It actually had the ringer and generator attached to the bottom of the phone, which I removed.  I hooked it up to the phone line, and it works great.  
Dave

wds

Actually, after closer inspection, my hardware seems to exactly match the components of the model 86, which means a local battery set up.  Guess I'll have to think about this one for a while.
Dave

Wallphone

What you have is not just like the phone pictured above.
There are not enough contacts in the hookswitch to convert it to dial. And I've been told that it would need a different coil too.
Dougpav

wds

After giving the dial hookup a lot of thought, here's what I came up with.  To take care of the battery hookup, on the terminal strip I simply jumpered terminal 1 and 4.  4 was originally dedicated for battery, through the hook switch, and then the mouth piece.  L1 on terminal 1 will now provide the current for the mouth piece.  Now the dial - AE dial was used.  Contact Y on the dial went to #8 on the strip, BK on the dial went to #3, R to #7, and BB to #6.  Although the original components may not have been the most ideal for this setup, the phone works great.  Clear sound and dials out.  Now I just need a base to install that ringer.........
Dave

CedarValleyPhoneGuy

Hello wds, were you able to get the ringer to work in conjunction with the dial, .5 mf condenser, #19 coil and original switch hook?  I've been wanting to get mine working, but even using your wiring configuration, haven't found the right combination.