News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Soft Plastic Phones..........How many do you have?

Started by John S, April 09, 2010, 09:45:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

Here are 2 pics of my soft plastic rotary wall  phones I just finished up.  I polished them up, restore them.  They are both dated 1958.  I bought them off e-bay...The black one I paid about 20 bucks...and the red one I got for 41 bucks.  The red one, I did not know it was soft plastic till I received it. ALL the dates match on the phones.    I was wondering how many soft plastic you collectors have?  I have a total off 3....including a mahogany brown desktop.  I am not going out of my way to find them, or buy them, all 3 of them were just by luck. Enjoy the pics.....

John....... 

AET

I really don't know about my desk sets.  My 554 is from 58 however and I believe is soft plastic as it's all dates matching besides the modular cord and they of course notched the handset.
- Tom

bingster

I only have three as well, John:  Black 57 C/D, black 57 U, and  red 57 C/D.
= DARRIN =

McHeath

I have no color soft plastic phones of any type.   :'(

I do have 3 black soft plastic 500s, a 51', a 54' and a 61'.  

Every time I find a soft plastic on color to follow on e-bay that looks like I might get it for a reasonable price, it goes crazy high in the last minutes.  

rp2813

My three are all black desk sets.  The cases are dated 1951 (on my 10/50), 1954 (on my 7/54), and 1956 (on my 9/53).  Interestingly, the 1956 one has a stronger smell than the other two.

I haven't bothered with colored sets much and don't seek them out, but if I were to come across a soft plastic one that was priced right, I'd grab it.
Ralph

foots

I have only 3 as well. 1 Black '55 565, 1 black '58 545, 1 white '59 500. As much as I like them, I prefer metal phones.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

benhutcherson

Just did a quick inventory.

I have three 500s in black(5/52, 3/53 base-'58 shell, 4/59 no dial), a black 554(59) and a red 500(55).

I also have two 5302s, which are also tenite if I'm not mistaken.

Dennis Markham

Too many.......40-50 probably, counting 554s'.  Throw in a couple 302's and 5302's on top of that. 

Jester

Ditto.  Several have stated the hazard of storing telephones in the same room.  Since I'm convinced that phones have no reproductive capablity on their own, it must be that the overwhelming aroma of the plastics drive the veiwer mad and he runs out & buys five more.  Either way, you can run out of room quickly.  An added danger is being married to someone who can count.
Stephen

Dennis Markham

Stephen, and when she starts the counting by five's you know you're in trouble.  Five, ten, fifteen..........

JorgeAmely

Just about a dozen. Must of the time, I get outbid by Dennis.  >:(
Jorge

AET

Yep, I'm addicted.  I was dreaming last nite about buying soft plastic phones haha.
- Tom

Dennis Markham

But you didn't get out bid on that white one, Jorge!