"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GTE 120B: Here I go again

Started by mentalstampede, April 25, 2017, 03:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mentalstampede

Quote from: DoubleTone on May 09, 2017, 09:13:12 PM
It looks like a smart board because it is, as I said at the start.

Neato. I never knew GTE produced a smart chassis for the 120. Does it need a battery to power the relay or does it require a separate DC power supply?
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

DoubleTone

It requires a separate 7.5 volt AC power supply. I rigged one up when I was experimenting. I could get the phone to work, but it was programmed for someplace in western New York state near Buffalo.

mentalstampede

That looks more like it. Unfortunately, I plugged it in and it appears my touch-tone unit isn't working. So one step forward, one step back.

It does, however, get dial tone, ring, and receive calls.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

dsk

Have you tested if the dial is polarity sensitive? Mine are.  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11846.msg127364#msg127364

dsk

Payphone installer

All the payphone collecting I have done I have  avoided the GTE payphones because I always thought they were ugly and boring,however despite that, they seem to seek me out. I know the the GTE case will take a Protel 2000,310 and 7000 board. I know that you can adapt the half button dial by simply changing the bezel or face from a smart set dial. I know that as in W/E sets there were prepay and post pay sets. I do believe that the post pay dumb set will work on any standard telephone line but not 100% sure of that. The upper-housing lock on the GTE sets were BJ004 locks. I have those locks and keys. I have somewhere some old GTE sets when it stops raining I will go hunt them down and get some pics on here.  I also know of a place that may still have the old dumb chassis.  I also have a very old rotary GTE in beige with the porcelain front.  I will post some pic of all of this.

mentalstampede

Quote from: dsk on May 19, 2017, 04:30:04 PM
Have you tested if the dial is polarity sensitive? Mine are.  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11846.msg127364#msg127364

dsk

That's the problem! I can't believe I didn't think to check that. Thanks!

Jim, I got the dumb chassis from Triad in Ohio. That's the only place I could find one. I have an attraction to these phones because I grew up in GTE territory and made many calls on an AE single slot in my youth.

mentalstampede

Onward and upward! Does anyone know what the functions of the "Strapping Array" blocks are on the 120B chassis? They're obviously jumpers to change the behavior of the phone, but what exactly do they do?

Edit: nevermind, I found this documentation uploaded by dsk a few years back. Thanks!

Also, the transmitter on this phone seems to be rather quiet when hooked up to my 616 system.