News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Someone had a bad call on this poor wee 706

Started by gpo706, August 20, 2009, 12:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpo706

Utter waifs and strays, I can't keep em out.

Either me or the other guy bought it or it was getting skipped.

I have two 706 grey junkers that can replace the shattered body (mind)?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110423970230&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:GB:1123
( dead link 08-04-21 )
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Stephen Furley

What the heck is that?  A push-button version of a 706?  The 746 came out in 1967, and I didn't think there were button 'phones before that.  There were quite a few different conversions of the 746, but I've never seen a 706 one.

gpo706

Yes Stephen, I'm baffled too, I cant find a 10 button 706 online.

Suger! maybe I have a collectors item!

Stephen Furley

I thought at first that maybe somebody had taken 764 (LD button version of 746) parts and fitted them to a 706 body, but this isn't the case; the keypad plate is quite different to that fitted to any the 746 based designs that I've seem, and looks older.  Maybe this was a very early prototype design.  I'd be very interested to see any markings on the base, and also what's inside it.

gpo706

McHeath

Would like to see the inner works and markings on this one.  Very interesting phone, I'm fond of WE 10 buttons and this one certainly has a curious history. 

gpo706

Don't get too excited folks, its a British Ericsson N2524, the only numbers on the base as N25240A1, the 0A1 is a suffix:

http://www.britishtelephones.com/menueric.htm

You can find it in the excel sheet.

No tested it yet, gimme couple of hours till I figure out how to remove the body as it snags on the buttons, any ideas

Interestingly the dial lable has what looks like an illuminated panel that has "WAIT FOR TONE" on it

gpo706

gpo706

For £2.50 what could I expect.

Using the age-old technique of brute force, the body flew off eventually into my tight mitt.

The case doesn't match the dial aperture on a standard 706, so I'm gonna have to modify the shell, as the original is scrap.

The 706 has the round aperture, this one is oblong shaped.

The "illuminated" dial lable is simply a card with a perspex cover that had faded so badly it was BROWN!

(the lable is white and fine)

I figured out how to get the dial lable out and with the slightest of pressure it came out, and cracked the thin brittle keypad surround, so gonna be a superglue / colour match / milliput repair.

The body as I said is history.

Now it rings louder than any other 706 repro I have and I get a dial tone, and its works on my tone dialler, but the actual button dialler just keeps getting the dial tone.

So rewire required, cleaned, get a bleached 706 grey body then dremmel the right shape for the button surround, mend the cracked button surround, maybe bleach it to match, make fresh plastic dial lable overlay, new line cord, replace cracked earpiece, replace crackling receiver.

Apart from that a fecking bargain, can see this being a dust collector for a while, maybe should have just the bloke to rent a skip in my name!

Will swap for a '49 500, if anybody is up for a challenge!

gpo706

Here's the terminal connections:

top row from top:

1 & 2 red resistor

2  & 3 strapped

4 & 5 strapped

6 & 7 strapped

8, 9 unconnected

top row bottom:

1 red handset

2 green handset

nothing else connected

Bottom row from top:

10, 11 unconnected

12 orange dial

13 brown dial

14 blue dial

15, 16, 17 not connected

18 grey dial

19 grey dial (2?)

16-17 and 18-19 strapped

bottom row, lower

10 white handset

11 not connected

12 red linecord

14 blue handset

15 blue linecord

17 green linecord

18 white linecord.

Handset seems fine so just need the gubbins for the dial to work.

Good luck!   

gpo706

Sorry here'e the original line block terminals:

1 white and green both to this terminal to PST same
2 red to red PST
3 blue to blue PST

I swapped white and green to 1 and 4 and vice versa no joy

gpo706

Right just rewired it to conventional diagrams and was dead apart from clicks, so rewired it back to original specs so now gets a dial tone dials out fine on tone generator, but push button do nowt.

I think the button pad needs re wired, because it doesnt match my 8746 in any respect, and theres that pesky 2nd grey wire from the pad, WTH is this for?

Well I can call out with the redbox, and get incoming calls I suppose...

McHeath