News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Canadian Ae 34

Started by rbouch, November 01, 2015, 01:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbouch

Just got back from town with my first ae 34 and it appears to be Canadian.

Phillips electrical works still showing faintly on the stamp on the bottom and the dial says Phillips made in Canada on the back.

Dials out, receives and transmits, rings, but gives off one "DING" when picked up and another when put back on the hook-up only when plugged in.

Is that normal?

unbeldi

Quote from: rbouch on November 01, 2015, 01:58:21 PM

Phillips electrical works still showing faintly on the stamp on the bottom and the dial says Phillips made in Canada on the back.

Dials out, receives and transmits, rings, but gives off one "DING" when picked up and another when put back on the hook-up only when plugged in.

Is that normal?
Please open it and check the ringer to see whether the long bias spring is still attached. It pulls the clapper slightly to one side to prevent this.  IIRC, on these, the spring is very long and almost parallel to one of the ringer coils. Perhaps the attachment on one side has failed or it is missing.

PS: Sorry, you already provided a picture of the ringer, I glanced past it.   So you do have that spring in place, I think you just need to tighten it a little bit.

DavePEI

Yep. You've got a Phillips Electrical Works AE34, made in Brockville prior to 1954 when manufacture shifted to the new AE plant on Strowger Blvd.

It is possible (good chance) it is a frequency ringer.

Quote from: rbouch on November 01, 2015, 01:58:21 PM

Is that normal?
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

rbouch

Here are a couple of handset pics

rbouch

If it is a frequency ringer it still rings on my line in. ;D

How do you tighten the spring?

unbeldi

Quote from: rbouch on November 01, 2015, 02:18:56 PM

It is not a frequency ringer, because it has the spring.
Isn't there a screw on the fixed anchor point toward the gongs?
Frequency ringers have a very stiff reed spring on which the clapper is mounted and hold the clapper in the center between the gongs, and don't usually experience bell tapping, I believe.

unbeldi

The phone looks to be in exquisite condition, congrats. Are the cords original cloth?

[PS:  I think at least one of them seem a modern repro, not? ]

DavePEI

Quote from: rbouch on November 01, 2015, 02:18:56 PM

Ok, I missed your statement that is did ring. I had thought that you had said when it rang, it only tapped once.

Did you add the photo of the ringer later? I missed it the first time I looked at your post.
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

rbouch

Cords are cloth but look repro to me

Here is a closeup of the bias spring from the gong end

unbeldi

Quote from: rbouch on November 01, 2015, 02:37:07 PM
Cords are cloth but look repro to me
I think that's what I just sensed too.
Here is a closeup of the bias spring from the gong end
Ah right...   You have to bend that metal lug onto which the spring is hooked a little with pliers.  Not much should be required.

rbouch

Had to move the bells and adjust the spring

Fine no.w

Thanks!

Just thrilled to find this one.

115 of your us dollars for it but no shipping and it is from up here.

Don't think I'd find that deal on eBay.....

CanadianGuy

I wonder if there's something else at play on the network side? I have a cheapy corded phone with an electronic ringer that cheeps once sometimes when I pick it up to dial out. Or maybe it's sometimes when I pick up my cordless. Anyway, that's just a guess. Maybe it's just something to do with a set's REN.

poplar1

The clapper should not touch the gong while it's not ringing; there should be a gap of at least 1/64 inch. Also, it's usually best to try reversing polarity (swapping the incoming line wires) before adjusting the tension on the biasing spring.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

NorthernElectric

Nice find rbouch!  All I got today was another boring metal 302.   :)
Cliff

rbouch

Love those metal 302s!

But yes, this makes for a nice change, honestly didn't think I'd find a canadian one.

Does anyone know when they stopped making these in canada?