"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is this really an Antique AE submarine monophone ? ebay #191060024287

Started by rfkimba, February 10, 2014, 04:14:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfkimba

Dear Telephonists,
Can anyone help identify this phone by date and  type?  Seems to be from a more modern vessel or from a personal phone in an officers cabin?  It  doesn't seem to  match anything tied into WW2 subs when looking at the operation manuals. Moreover it seems very dissimiliar from a Russian and German submarine salvaged telephones sold on ebay  in December 2013 and Jan 2014 as it lacks a manual crank .  Mouthpieces don't match whats on military submarines.
Is someone  pulling our shells?
Any ideas from a seafaring telephonist?
Thanks,
Bob Farber

-----------------------

EDIT: Link added for convenience  http://www.ebay.com/itm/191060024287

Photos added for posterity

G-Man

It's made for bulkhead mounting and the Chicago manufacturing location would be consistent with an older vintage telephone.
What operations manual are you referencing and where does it state that a dial instrument should have a crank?
I also do not see where the listing claims it is from WWII and the mouthpiece is not inconsistent with those on other handsets used by the USN. Typically handsets with the spit-cup mouthpieces (caps) are used on the bridge or with the handsets on sound-powered instruments.
Some of our USN comm. manuals show updated versions of this set and I will see if I can find a photo to upload.

G-Man

The following photo shows updated versions but none of the bulkhead instruments are using the spit-cup mouthpieces.

G-Man

Here is a pimped-out version of your instrument that is also listed as a submarine telephone:

Militaria-WW-II-submarine-telephone-restored-in-copper-finish-works-great-Mint-cond-13-H-x-7-W

rdelius

This is an older set than the types b and c sets.They are post war.I beleive that the set in the first post would be wartime based on the high percentage of steel for the housing.I restored many of these sets.Not sure if from submarines but definatly off Navy ships.Since these are dial sets, there would be no crank or bulky handsets like the sound powered sets.That AE set is the real thing as used by the US Navy.I have seen many navy sets with cranks but they were mostly British and would not have had a dial These had a high frequency output 1000hz or  so and would be heard through transducers on the sets..Some small vessels had a sound powered handset wired to a magnito box with a switch to select where you wanted to call example engine room or bridge

AE_Collector

Thanks for adding all the pictures TelePlay.

Everyone needs to recall the frustration of finding an old topic here on a subject that interests them only to find all of the links are now dead and there are were no pictures posted directly in the topic. ebaY links go dead after a few months. We see the CRPF as a permanent record of phone history for the future and in many instances having no pictures for reference negates the value of the topic completely.

Terry

G-Man

Quote from: rfkimba on February 10, 2014, 04:14:41 AM
Dear Telephonists,
Can anyone help identify this phone by date and  type?  Seems to be from a more modern vessel or from a personal phone in an officers cabin?  It  doesn't seem to  match anything tied into WW2 subs when looking at the operation manuals. Moreover it seems very dissimiliar from a Russian and German submarine salvaged telephones sold on ebay  in December 2013 and Jan 2014 as it lacks a manual crank .  Mouthpieces don't match whats on military submarines.
Is someone  pulling our shells?
Any ideas from a seafaring telephonist?
Thanks,
Bob Farber

-----------------------

EDIT: Link added for convenience  http://www.ebay.com/itm/191060024287

Photos added for posterity

Rfkimba-

Since none of the newer sets in the photo that I posted show them, It would still be interesting to see the operations manual you mentioned, that contains photos of USN sets with cranks. Is there a link available?

paul-f

Perhaps it's a civilian varsion of the type B set that was made for the navy.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

rdelius

It is the same set.It was common on wwII equiptment late in the war not to use metal ID tags but to substute plastic or fiber tags.If Navy,I would expect an accepance stamp somewhere ,might have an anchor .

poplar1

Robby, your old boss still at it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221342769412

-------------

For Sale by drahcir29 for $895.00 and Sold on December 28, 2013.

EDIT: For posterity, this is the seller's eBay description from the listing for this phone

"VERY IMPRESSIVE AND HISTORICAL US NAVY TELEPHONE IN EXCELLENT CONDITION READY TO USE

RESTORED IN MY SHOPS. OVER 50 YEARS EXPERIENCE RESTORING AND COLLECTING ANTIQUE TELEPHONES

HANDSET LOCKS INTO MECHANISM PREVENTING FALLING WHEN BIG GUNS WERE FIRED AND SHIP MOVED

CONSTRUCTION: SOLID BRASS, STEEL AND BAKELITE

EXCELLENT COSMETIC AND OPERATING CONDITION

ALL BRASS POLISHED TO HIGH LUSTER ON PROFESSIONAL MACHINES

STEEL SURFACES BLASTED, PRIMED AND PAINTED WITH 3 COATS OF AUTOMOTIVE LACQUER

DIAL SERVICED, LUBE AND CALIBRATED ON DIGITAL EQUIPMENT

NEW COIL HANDSET CORD AND MODERN MODULAR LINE CORD.  READY TO PLUG INTO MODERN TELEPHONE CO JACK

RINGER HAS TWO SOLID BRASS BELLS PRODUCING BRILLIANT SOUND. THEY ARE ADJUSTABLE FOR LOUDNESS

SOUND FIDELITY RIVALS MODERN QUALITY TELEPHONE

DIALS OUT, ANSWERS AND RINGS WHEN CALLED LIKE A MODERN TELEPHONE

Automatic Electric was a principal supplier to the US NAVY providing many types of telephones. Their quality and engineering was the finest in the industry. This telephone was build to military specifications employing the finest components and engineering. The internal compartment is sealed with a gasket preventing exposure to harmful contamination. The insides look like the day they it was assembled. This telephone is built like the battleship it was installed on during WW2.

I and my staff of engineers, technicians and craftsmen restored many of this model as well as other types during the 45 years I owned the premier CHICAGO OLD TELEPHONE CO. I sold the company several years ago and continue to restore on a much smaller scale.

(STROWGER) on the dial center refers to Dr Strowger, an inventor and undertaker, during the late 1800's who learned that operators were sending customers to his competitors. He invented the famous step switch that made dialing practical. Automatic Electric acquired the rights and developed the first very sucessful dialing system that revolutionized the industry.  PAX:  PRIVATE AUTOMATIC EXCHANGE. 

You can own a historical and extremely dependable telephone that will amaze your guests and friends.  It will increase in value.

DIMENSIONS:   16" TOP TO BOTTOM  X  7" WIDE  X  6"  FRONT TO BACK.   WEIGHT: 16 LBS      SHIPPING WEIGHT APROX  20 LBS
COIL HANDSET CORD:  6 FT STRETCHED OUT.    MODULAR LINE CORD 8 FT.   CAN BE LONGER IF REQUESTED."
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

rdelius

G-Man

Quote from: rfkimba on February 10, 2014, 09:59:16 PM
Thanks for the outpouring of knowledge.
Bob

It would still be interesting to see the operations manual you mentioned, that contains photos of USN sets with cranks. Is there a link available?

rfkimba

Dear G-man,

I don't have a specific operation's manual I can reference. When I saw this offering on Ebay  I searched Google and Yahoo to see if I could come up with some validation of the item. I quickly thumbed through a WW2 era reference that diagrammed  an old  handset.  I can't seen to relocate it.

Thanks again for the instructive documentation.
Bob

Russ Kirk

Quote from: rdelius on February 10, 2014, 08:33:00 PM
Yes this is his.Keeps him busy

I bought the same one from Dick at the phone show today. He does excellent work.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI