News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Change Payphone Upper Housing from Touch to Rotary?

Started by robrings, December 16, 2012, 09:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robrings

I just bought a rotary head on ebay, May have been a stupid move. I thought maybe i could swap it out with my touch tone head since it looks to share the same round type connector.

This is the head i bought http://www.ebay.com/itm/110990798096?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

And this is my payphone. http://s300.beta.photobucket.com/user/ringwar/media/IMG_20121216_212752_405_zps05dec205.jpg.html

ESalter

They're all made to be interchangeable, so it better work! :)

robrings

Great! I have been looking for a rotary single slot for a while now. I always seem to be either a minute late or a dollar short. I saw that head on ebay and jumped on it.

robrings

Well i got the rotary head in today. Installed it and have a dial tone. But when i attempt to dial a number the dial tone pauses like you are dialing, but after it is done spinning you get the dial tone again.  Am I to assume i need a rotary to touch tone converter? I have charter communications and their sales rep and their tech department didn't know if they support rotary dial.

Quote from: ESalter on December 17, 2012, 12:27:12 AM
They're all made to be interchangeable, so it better work! :)

Phonesrfun

I have Charter for my phone service and rotary works very nicely.  Have you tried another rotary phone on your line?  One way to check is to take a regular phone (not the pay phone), and jiggle the hookswitch when you have dial tone and see if that will break the dial tone.  If it does break the dial tone, your Charter will probably support rotary.  The reason I say not to do that with the pay phone is because the pay phone has a special feature built into the hookswitch to keep people from using the hookswitch to dial numbers for free.

I am not very familiar with that payphone, but maybe there are some switches that need to be set for rotary.  Perhaps someone with single slot experience can chime in.
-Bill G

robrings

I don't have any other corded phones, but when i giggle the payphone hook, it breaks the tone.... My phone is setup to not need money to dial out. And would it matter which Charter Voip setup you have? Mine is the newer all in one unit with internet and phone from one box.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on December 24, 2012, 03:44:20 PM
I have Charter for my phone service and rotary works very nicely.  Have you tried another rotary phone on your line?  One way to check is to take a regular phone (not the pay phone), and jiggle the hookswitch when you have dial tone and see if that will break the dial tone.  If it does break the dial tone, your Charter will probably support rotary.  The reason I say not to do that with the pay phone is because the pay phone has a special feature built into the hookswitch to keep people from using the hookswitch to dial numbers for free.

I am not very familiar with that payphone, but maybe there are some switches that need to be set for rotary.  Perhaps someone with single slot experience can chime in.

Phonesrfun

My Charter phone ATA is less than a year old, but it is a separate unit from the internet modem.

I remember talking to the Charter tech when he installed it and he said that Charter prides itself on being able to support rotary phones in order to be a fully equipped substitute for the phone company.  I don't know if all Charter offices run the same or not, but since they all go into an 800 number for support, I would have to think there is some level of common standards.

Maybe you'll just need to go out and get yourself another rotary phone, or at least go to Goodwill and get a cheapie that has a switch on it that allows you to switch between rotary and pulse for dialing.  Or, just start collecting rotary phones!

Customer support people on the other end of the 800 number are usually clueless.
-Bill G

AE_Collector

If you can switch hook dial, pulse dialling is working on your phone line. Maybe the usual thing such as contacts on the back of the dial bent slightly? It could also be tat there is a jumper on the main board tat needs to be changed for a dial upper housing. Upper and Lower Housing is correct terminology for pay phone assemblies. To meat least!

Terry

robrings

Looks like the phone head has been messed with by someone at some time. The plastic terminal block in the head is all busted. A red wire was cut, reconnecting made me lose dial tone. Does anyone know where i can find a wiring diagram for this phone? And where to buy a new or used plastic terminal for the head? Its the same board as my touch tone head but i don't want to rob from a working head.

ESalter

Post a picture of it and I'll see what I have.  I have a lot of payphone junk laying around, I might just have one.

robrings

Here is a link to the images of the phone base i am using and the rotary head internals. You can see the broken/cut red wire in the head, and the cracked plastic terminal block in the head. I have been trying to find a wiring diagram for this head. But come up empty handed.

http://s300.beta.photobucket.com/user/ringwar/media/DSCF1204_zps0addc7d1.jpg.html

Phonesrfun

By the way, the half of the phone that attaches to the wall is called the lower housing, and the part that has the dial is called the upper housing.

I wish I could answer your questions, but I don't have much single slot knowledge.
-Bill G

robrings

I'm just trying to make sure it's not something stupid before I send it out for repair. Has anyone ever used A1 Telephone repair? And i bought a cheap rotary telephone on ebay for $16 shipped to test my charter phone service. I'm pretty experienced with electronics. But without a wiring diagram for this phone i am pretty much useless. Or even a color picture of someone elses upper.

Phonesrfun

Dave Hunter "DavePEI" seems to have some good info on single slot phones.  Also, there is probably a schematic inthe TCI technical library.  You might try that if you haven't already.
-Bill G

Argee

Ive got one that works, its been converted to work without coins.  We should be able to compare the internals.