News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

684 subset wiring help

Started by Perry, December 05, 2008, 09:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perry

I purchased a 684 subset to use with my 202 phone (or should I say D mount). I'm a little baffled by how to connect the wiring, though. I'm using a 4-conductor cord. Could someone help me out with where the wires should attach (from the phone and also the incoming line wires)? I found a schematic on another thread, but as some of the connection names are on 2 different areas (R, L1, L2), I'm not sure which ones to use. Also, there is a black wire that seems to snake around from the condenser (see attached photo) that is not connected. Where should that go? Thanks for any suggestions.

benhutcherson

Here's how I would wire it:

Green to GN
Yellow to L2/Y ON THE INDUCTION COIL
Red to R ON THE INDUCTION COIL

The black wire from the D mount needs to be connected to the loose black wire from the capacitor. There should be a terminal called "BK" to do this on, although I don't see any terminals labeled as such in your subset. You should be alright, however, to use the unlabeled terminal on the fiber board in the upper right hand corner to connect the two together.

Everything else appears to be wired as it should. I see no reason why this subset won't work if connected as describe above.

Perry

Thanks. For the incoming phone line, there are 4 wires (red, green, black and yellow). Only the red and green wires were attached to the modular wall jack, and the yellow and black wires were cut off. Do I need to use all 4, or just the red and green ones, and where should those attach?

benhutcherson

Red and green to L1 and L2, on the induction coil. Which goes to which doesn't matter.

Perry

Dennis Markham

Ben, shouldn't the loose black wire from the condenser attach to BK on the dial?  (Along with the black handset wire.  Or is that what you said?

Dennis

bingster

Is it just my imagination, or is that a date of "55" next to the black condenser wire just above the hook for the mounting cord's "S" restraint?  If it is, that's the newest 684 I've ever seen.  It's also the first solid back subset I've seen.  Interesting find, Perry. 8)
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Disregard my previous posting.  I was thinking telephone with that comment.  Sorry.

Dennis

Perry

Thanks to Ben's help and some phone wiring advice in a previous thread (http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=215.0), my 202 is finally wired properly. Now if I can just work out the problems with my Redbar phone I'll be in good shape (phone-wise, anyway).

Dennis, the way I read Ben's advice was that the black condenser wire attached to the black wire from the phone, which I attached to the BK terminal on the dial (using the diagram you provided in the other thread, as there were no actual terminal ID letters on the dial) along with the black handset wire. When I opened it up, the phone itself was also wired differently, with the red and black handset wires switched from where you had suggested they belong. It was sold to me wired to attach directly to a modular cord, with no "network," which is why I got the subset for it.

bingster

I cringe to think of all the E1 receivers that are going to be destroyed forever by these sellers (painters) who think there's no need for a subset other than to provide a ringer.  It's a sickening thought.

Good for you, for doing it the right way, Perry.  I wish more people did. 8)

= DARRIN =

BDM

Quote from: bingster on December 06, 2008, 12:24:54 AM
I cringe to think of all the E1 receivers that are going to be destroyed forever by these sellers (painters) who think there's no need for a subset other than to provide a ringer.  It's a sickening thought.

Good for you, for doing it the right way, Perry.  I wish more people did. 8)

True.................

NOTE: I accidently added my reply to your post through an edit. Whoooops, brain fart! ::)
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

bingster

I do that all the time on my old radio show forum. ;D
= DARRIN =

Perry

It surprises me how well the phone seemed to work with only a dial and switch inside. Fortunately, I don't think any damage was done. I didn't use it much the way it was set up, and the receiver seems to work fine.

djtownsend

Where can I find a wiring diagram for the 684?  I've looked through the TCI library but couldn't find anything.  Also, there is a difference between the 684 BA, which looke similar to the picture above, and the 684A which seems older.  I am looking for diagrams for both subsets and how each would connect to the desk set.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Dan

Wallphone

Try this first < http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=784.0 > and I will see if I have any other info in my files.
Doug Pav