"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The Motherlode!

Started by Nilsog, March 16, 2012, 02:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilsog

Wow!

http://tinyurl.com/7o2crmk ( dead link 06-22-21 )

That's incredible! The auction description says it's a complete Bell Service Truck, untouched since 1975.

Ken

twocvbloke

I'm guessing somewhere on the truck is "Bell system property, Not for resale".... :D

flingwing1969

It probably says that EVERYWHERE on the truck - no Bell System anymore though!

DavePEI

Yes, isn't it incredible. There has been a lot of talk about it on other lists also. Now, I am a tool guy, but couldn't even come close to affording this!

It is a sight to behold!

Love that '57 F-100! Remember the old Janis Joplin song, "Oh Lord, Won't you buy me a 57 Telephone Truck (Mercedes Benz) "!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

canuckphoneguy

That would be one HECK of a shipping charge. ;D

JorgeAmely

This thing really belongs in a museum.
Jorge

Nilsog

Quote from: JorgeAmely on March 16, 2012, 05:16:00 PM

I absolutely agree. Hopefully whoever buys it doesn't part it all out.
Ken

Witty

This really is an awesome collection. 

The display case with all the individual dial parts is very nice and has it's own carrying case.  I doubt you will find many of these around. 

He was obviously a collector of phones and phone company related items and threw in some phones to go with the sale.  Based on his buying feedback, the hard hat, pressure gauge, ashtray and many of the tools were bought within the past year and added to the collection.  It's very possible none of the equipment in the sale was ever in use with this actual truck when it was in service, but it would be nice to know if any were.  Either way this is an outstanding collection and the service truck itself would be a great restoration project

Ken.
Ken

sebbel

Holycrap. That is exactly what my uncle's been looking for...
Seb.

Greg G.

What on earth would a telephone installer do with a hatchet?   ???
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Nilsog

Good, old-fashioned Customer Service. The stuff the Bell System was known for!
Ken

twocvbloke

Quote from: Brinybay on March 18, 2012, 11:49:57 PM

For cutting up wood to use for a woodgas powered car or truck? :D

Or more likely, trimming trees to clear the lines of arborial interference, or cut notches in things to pass wires around, or to chase after kids telling them to "git off the darn lines!!!"... :D

DavePEI

Quote from: Brinybay on March 18, 2012, 11:49:57 PM
Used for various purposes as suggested above and for cleaving those tough meat sandwiches and biscuits your wife packed for your lunch.

Designed for pole line maintenance, chopping and leveling the area where cross-arms mount, and Bell issued hatchets contain a sport a fashionable square cut-out to allow the hatchet to be used to loosen/tighten pole hardware.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

sebbel

Quote from: JorgeAmely on March 16, 2012, 05:16:00 PM

That thing IS a museum.
Seb.

bingster

Quote from: Witty on March 18, 2012, 08:11:05 PMIt's very possible none of the equipment in the sale was ever in use with this actual truck when it was in service, but it would be nice to know if any were. 

The wording of the ad seems to be constructed to avoid saying the items have been in the truck since 1975.  It says the auction is for a collection of tools and a truck.  It's a clever way of avoiding saying all the stuff was on the truck when it was parked, while leaving the impression that it was.

Even so, the truck is a great piece for the collector who has everything, and the parts are just icing on the cake.
= DARRIN =