News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How Do You Install the "cross" thick WE Clear Fingerwheel

Started by Doug Rose, April 01, 2012, 01:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I found this about six months ago. I couldn't figure how to install it. I have a Imperial 102 with brass finger wheel and I wanted to install this instead. No go. I tried on a #4 and a #5 and it just gets to tight when I secure it. If I back it off, it comes off.

I installed it just the way it looks, the "x" flange with hole the size of the dial post first, it slides on tight, then the plastic finger wheel the the othe "x" with the round hole. It leaves next to no space to secure the nut. Any ideas??

These came on the early Ivory 42 thermoplastics. I thought for sure it would fit. HELP!!!...Doug
Kidphone

JorgeAmely

Doug:

In just a few more hours the doctor will be in the house and provide instructions on how to put this thing together.
Jorge

Dan/Panther

Maybe the X bolts to the dial first, then the fingerwheel snaps in place.
Dan

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

LarryInMichigan

I can see only one possible way which is similar to the plastic SC finger wheels.  The piece with the rectangular hole should fit into the hole from the underside of the finger wheel, then the other piece on the top side. 

Larry

Doug Rose

Here is how I did it. When I tighten the nut, fingerwheel won't move...Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Is it possible that some dials have longer threaded posts?

Larry

Jester

Doug,
Is your number plate retainer the standard 4H/5H retainer, or the flush style used on the 5J?  If it has the raised lip on it, the F/W is being forced against it when you tighten the nut.  Find the right retainer, your fingerwheel & mount should work correctly.  I used to have a spare.  Now, where did I put it....? ::)
Stephen

Doug Rose

Quote from: Jester on April 02, 2012, 12:01:43 AM
Doug,
Is your number plate retainer the standard 4H/5H retainer, or the flush style used on the 5J?  If it has the raised lip on it, the F/W is being forced against it when you tighten the nut.  Find the right retainer, your fingerwheel & mount should work correctly.  I used to have a spare.  Now, where did I put it....? ::)
Stephen...that has to be it!!! If you do have one to sell, please PM me....many thanks....I was losing what little mind I have left.....Doug
Kidphone

Babybearjs

John

Doug Rose

All Right Stephen!!!!  ;D ;D ;D I found a flush dial plate retainer in my parts drawer. It went together perfectly. No pushing or forcing, just as it was supposed to...took all of one minute. IT WORKS!!! Thanks Stephen.....I kept going over it and over it...what am I missing? I am one happy guy. It is such a cool finger wheel. You can teach an old doug new tricks!!! :o.........Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Good for you, Doug.  I've never seen a Western finger wheel like that one.

Jester

Quote from: Doug Rose on April 02, 2012, 08:05:23 PM
All Right Stephen!!!!  ;D ;D ;D I found a flush dial plate retainer in my parts drawer. It went together perfectly. No pushing or forcing, just as it was supposed to...took all of one minute. IT WORKS!!! Thanks Stephen.....I kept going over it and over it...what am I missing? I am one happy guy. It is such a cool finger wheel. You can teach an old doug new tricks!!! :o.........Doug

Glad to hear it!! ;)  I've been going through my stash today, searching for my "spare".  No luck so far, but I did find two "extra" F/W mount assemblies for the NEXT OFFERED 5J finger wheel.  To Doug...or anyone else... PM me if you need one.  Sorry... I don't have a finger wheel to fit these!  Just the mounts.  These come with the special nuts, and are the parts on the right side of this picture.
Stephen

Dennis Markham

Those clips in your photo Stephen, as you know are very difficult to find.  I broke one some time ago and tried to find a replacement.  It wasn't until some months later that I saw a pile of parts for sale on eBay and got my replacement.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dennis Markham on April 02, 2012, 09:28:00 PM
Good for you, Doug.  I've never seen a Western finger wheel like that one.
Dennis.....this finger wheel would go on the Ivory 302s from the 40's with the matching Ivory plungers and the painted matching hookswitch cover.

This would also go on a 4J dial. For any of us who are lucky enough to own one  ;D

Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Stephen...thanks again...this has been bothering me for quite some time. The hardest part about the flush plate retainers is they don't look that different from the standard ones; unless you stare and compare. I had a drawer in my work bench with 10 of them. Third time through I spotted the bad boy I needed. It took me a lot longer to find the part I had than assemble the dial!!

Anyone have any information in the dial card that was used? It is smaller than the standard. About the size of the number change stickers that the phone companies sent out that stuck on the celluloid covers.  I cut one of the dial cards I had made with my phone number on it. I had to cut a celluloid as well. It was not a very user friendly system, I can see why they didn't last long. BUT....it is just sooo cooool. It is really thick....Doug
Kidphone