News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Forum Software Update

Started by Dennis Markham, December 21, 2013, 07:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Is there a notification icon if we get a PM?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

DavePEI

Quote from: HarrySmith on December 23, 2013, 12:40:40 PM
Is there a notification icon if we get a PM?
At the top where the menu bar is:

Home Help Search Profile My Messages Calendar Members Logout

if you have a message it will show as:

Home Help Search Profile My Messages (1) Calendar Members Logout

The brackets will show the total number of new messages.

Dave H.

The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

TelePlay

You get a number in a bracket after "MyMessages" in the drop down bar.

Bridie

I believe the avatars that aren't loading for people are .png format.  That was the problem with mine.  I resaved it as a .jpg, reuploaded to my profile and all is well.
Bridget

DavePEI

On behalf of all the Rotary Phone Forum Users, I would like to thank Dave Z. for this wonderful Christmas present!

Dave has most of the bugs worked out, and the new board should hopefully allow us to get our email notifications going again in time, and if you read through the Simple Machines site, you will note there are a number of security and other improvements.

Dave managed to do it without the loss of any data or messages, and that is always a fear when upgrading software. There had been a number of changes to the software since the last time the forum was upgraded. It seems the only loss was the odd avatar, and those can be replaced by the affected users.  Over time, this upgrade will allow the option of a number of improvements to the Forum.

So thanks to Dennis for talking Dave into doing the upgrade, and thanks to Dave for finding the time to do it.

Dave H.
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Mr. Bones

Dave Z.,
     Thought I had ought to weigh in for the portable device crowd: all looks fine and well on my (work-issued) iPod 5.
Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

HarrySmith

HERE, HERE ;D Many thanks to Dave Z. for doing this upgrade and for putting up with our whining 8)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

twocvbloke

Quote from: DavePEI on December 23, 2013, 06:00:41 AMStrange. I have been using Firefox for many years and like Dennis, have never had any problem with it - none at all on several generations of machines. I changed to Firefox because of the problems I had previously had with IE, and would never go back (other than for brief tests).

Dave

For me it's been a memory hog (currently using 388MB for not a lot of work done!!), which is compounded by things like Adobe's products (Flash player, Shockwave, Acrobat Reader, and a few other things they can't code properly) taking up more memory and CPU time, and on an old laptop like what I have now, it's not very good at being snappy, but, like I say, it's better than IE or Chrome, and I'll recommend it to anyone who's looking to replace their browser... ;D

And at least it's a proper universal browser, if IE can't load certain images that are industry standards, then IE ain't a universal browser... ;)

HarrySmith

I really like the way the Red 302 comes up for new topics ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

m1898

I see you are still tweaking (notice I did say tweaking not twerking) the software. I now have a boarder around my info on right side above header.     Jim
"Oh lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, I get better looking each day"

Dave Zemens

Jim: Everybody now has a border around their info at the top right of the header. That's what I wanted it to look like!  :)
Dave Zemens
1955 Design | Rochester, Michigan
Website Design & Development
Custom WordPress Themes & Plugins

m1898

I am starting to like the changes more. You are doing a good job. Thank you for your work.  Jim
"Oh lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, I get better looking each day"

Phonesrfun

Is it me, or did the link to messages that used to be in the header vanish?  I do see another way to get to them via the menu ribbon.
-Bill G

m1898

Bill, if you are talking about "my messages" in the header, it is still on mine (at present).            Jim

AE_Collector

I guess that there is no easy way to have PM info appear in the info box along with the numbers of unread posts and replies to posts....is there? Probably not but that would seem like an ideal place for it.

My thanks to Dave Z as well. I haven't been around here much for the last month and a half but I knew that the needed software upgrade had been bothering Dennis for awhile now. Thank you so much Dave for all of the time you put into making it happen, It is much appreciated by all of us CRPF "Regulars".

Merry Christmas,
Terry