"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help please with old phone and subset

Started by Cory, February 16, 2012, 02:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cory

Hi

I have a couple items as can be seen in the attached pictures and I would like to get this working so I can use it in my home. They are currently connected however the dialtone is not broken when dialing and one wire from the bell in not connected and consequently does not ring. I would appreciate any assistance in getting this beauty working once again. Thanks to all.

Russ Kirk

Hi Cory,

Take a look at this document in the TCi library.  You should be able to see if the wiring is correct.

http://tinyurl.com/6mo9x7o

Russ
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

dpaynter1066

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=5489&Itemid=2

here is a link to the 211 Space Saver Phone

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=4397&Itemid=2

Here is a link to the 634A subset.  Ignore circuit items you dont have such as filters and refer to the  connection letters in order to hook it up.

Cory

Thanks for the schematics though I generally do not do to well with them.
I have now connected the ground wire of the bell to L2Y. I can now call this phone through my PBX and it rigns for a fraction of a second and hangs up. If I call it without this jumper I can answer the phone and can talk and hear, but it does not ring. I still cannot dial from it.
I am not sure if it should be a negative or positive parties?

Phonesrfun

Based on the fact that you now seem to have it wired correctly, I would say that your ringer capacitor (The large black square thing under the terminal strip) in the subset is leaking current. At least that is consistent with it tripping the ringing current after one ring, and not being able to dial out.

Perhaps you can find a 1 MF capacitor at Radio Shack rated at 250 volts or more to replace the large one in the subset.  If not Radio Shack, someone may have one here on the forum.  Later ringers used a .5 Mf, but with the older ringers, you will need a 1 MF or the ringing will sound weak.

-Bill G

Cory

I have contacted my local parts supplier and I will pick up one 1.Mf cap @350v Friday AM. I am hoping for the best! Thank You.

G-Man

Quote from: Cory on February 16, 2012, 04:03:48 PM
Thanks for the schematics though I generally do not do to well with them.
I have now connected the ground wire of the bell to L2Y. I can now call this phone through my PBX and it rigns for a fraction of a second and hangs up. If I call it without this jumper I can answer the phone and can talk and hear, but it does not ring. I still cannot dial from it.
I am not sure if it should be a negative or positive parties?

It's difficult to follow the wiring as shown in the photos but it would appear as if you still had wiring issues that need to be resolved before your phone will be able to dial-out and function properly.

You should re-check the wiring according to the BSP's that dpaynter1066 was kind enough to provide.

dpaynter1066

Cory,  Start with the Handset on the right in the 211 schematic and work your way left.

It looks like you have a 5H dial.  unscrew the mouthpiece and remove the microphone and look at the photo titled f1 and f4 handset.  W is the top wire going to the earpiece.  The other end of w goes to the dial section of the schematic to dial connection W which is the left most screw on the dial. You have a yellow wire there. Dont worry about wire colors per se at the moment, just trace out where the wires Should go.  The circuit goes thru the switch and comes off the dial at BB where you have a Brown wire.  BB leaves the dial and goes to the switch hook at W.

The circuit leaves the switch hook at  GN  where you have a Green wire and goes to the Subset Cord.   Follow each succeeding wire from right to left and make sure it goes to the right in and outs of each section to a subset wire.   lable the other end of the subset cord with the right letter if it dosent happen to be the right color Green,Red,Black,Yellow.

Once the phone is right hook the subset cord to the coil from right to left  green to GN, red to R etc.   Disconnect all the ringer wiring, you do not have pos or neg ringing.

You should have a rectangular capacitor with 4 wires under the coil,  and a bell with two wires.  and the 2 telco line cord wires left.

The capacitor should have two individual  sections with 2 wires each,  four wires in all.

one 2uf capacitor hooks between the subset wire BK and the coil at C.   the other pair is used for the bell circuit.

The Green Tip line cord goes to  L1 on the coil. The Red Ring goes to the Yellow subset wire.    At this point it should dial, break dial tone and connect with a caller.

To make the Ringer work,  hook one bell wire to Ring and the  other capacitor  that was unused  to Tip and the other bell wire to the other side of that capacitor in series.

Should ring and be fine then.

If I'm reading it wrong, lets hope another reader can set us straight about it.

Cory

:)Thanks to all for your assistance. This is working now!

dpaynter1066

Awesome Cory.  These mount to the wall or a bar  using an L shaped bracket that screws to the bottom.  If you do not have one they are available at OldPhoneWorks or PhonecoInc for just a few dollars.