News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cleaning fine threads on AE-34 Handset, and removing earpiece

Started by flingwing1969, March 14, 2012, 12:05:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flingwing1969

Forgive me if I use the wrong terms for the various parts of my phone, but I thought my experiences might be of some help to some to someone. 

I disassembled my phone to clean the dial governor and gears in preparation for lubrication.  I found that the best product to clean out the old goop was 90% rubbing alcohol and a soldering flux brush. The brush was just right for getting into the gears and joints and spindles. I used sewing machine oil, just a drop or two, for lube.

I also wanted to polish the brass rings on the handset and the earpiece retainer nut with my Dremel tool and some Brasso - worked great.  I noticed that the earpiece was held to the retaining ring by the center brass piece, actually a female hex nut, or sorts.  Some research disclosed that there was an AE special tool - sort of an allen wrench to fit into the retainer socket.  Like Goldielocks, one of my allen wrenches was too big and the next was too small, but allas, none was "just right".  Off to my parts bins for a hex-bolt that might work and there it was - just a hair of grinding and it fit like a glove - a vice-grip on the threaded end and it came out like a dream.

Upon reassembly, I discovered that the threads on the handset and the microphone and earpiece (very fine ones) were very stiff.  Off them came and out came an old toothbrush and the alcohol and 30-seconds later the rings screwed on like a dream.

I think my brass polishing turned out nice too.  Before and after pix are next up, followed by photos of the bolt setup to remove the ear-cup retainer.

JorgeAmely

I once posted an album of a restoration I did on an AE34.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Amelyenator/AutomaticElectricModelAE34A3Telephone#

The trim package was either finished in black paint, chromed or satin 24k gold. Back in the thirties, polished brass was not available from Automatic Electric. There is a forum member that refinishes them in chrome for a reasonable price.

PS: Forum member finlover once published photos of his AE34 with polished brass and later gold trimmed parts. The link is:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2824.45

PPS: Dennis is the forum member that does beautiful metal work. Check out his Picasa albums here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/dencins
Jorge

Doug Rose

Your finger wheel looks copper in the pictures. Maybe copper plated? The center where the retainer ring would go looks brass. You did a great job, these are beautiful phones.....Doug
Kidphone

flingwing1969

Thanks for the info on the finish on my phone.  I suspected that this was originally a black trimmed phone because of the traces of black coating I saw on the earpiece underside after I disassembled it.  My wife got this phone for free at a moving sale - she didn't get the other 20 or so phones in the garage, also for give-away - so we don't know the history.  All of the trim parts are actually brass, the copper look is likely a lighting thing.  I have seen the refinishing offers and I'm still considering doing it in nickel/chrome but I (more importantly, my wife) like the look of the brass - albeit historically incorrect.  Not being a dedicated collector, and this being a fully functional (now) phone that we intend to display and occasionally use in our living room, it will likely stay brass.

Thanks for the kind words, Doug.

-Tom