News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Old Kellogg Wall Phone at Amusement Park

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, June 25, 2015, 08:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

A local amusement park that my family visits at least once every year has a small-scale ride-on train with a complete rail system built in place. The owners of the park actually built every locomotive, rail car, and section of track by hand from scratch; they even built the miniature rail system and trains for the Milwaukee County Zoo!

Anyway, the train station in the park has what looks like an old Kellogg wall phone hanging on the wall inside. The park has been in operation since the early '90s, so I'd guess the building (and phone) have been there, for public display with mostly little kids playing with it, for over 20 years. This is what 20 years worth of exposure to little kids can do to a wall phone!

When I saw it last year, the receiver was smashed, but not this bad! The bell was also still mounted to the ringer, now it's sitting on top of the box.

Pretty sad what time and kids can do to a phone like this. At least quite a bit can either be salvaged or replaced. I'm just hoping someone doesn't rip it off the wall! :'(
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on June 25, 2015, 08:35:06 PM
A local amusement park that my family visits at least once every year has a small-scale ride-on train with a complete rail system built in place. The owners of the park actually built every locomotive, rail car, and section of track by hand from scratch; they even built the miniature rail system and trains for the Milwaukee County Zoo!

Anyway, the train station in the park has what looks like an old Kellogg wall phone hanging on the wall inside. The park has been in operation since the early '90s, so I'd guess the building (and phone) have been there, for public display with mostly little kids playing with it, for over 20 years. This is what 20 years worth of exposure to little kids can do to a wall phone!

When I saw it last year, the receiver was smashed, but not this bad! The bell was also still mounted to the ringer, now it's sitting on top of the box.

Pretty sad what time and kids can do to a phone like this. At least quite a bit can either be salvaged or replaced. I'm just hoping someone doesn't rip it off the wall! :'(
Poor phone! :( This hurts when I see them in this condition! I am probably the only 14 year old who would rescue an old wooden wall phone!
Western Electric - A unit of the Bell System and main supplier of AT&T since 1882! -15 year old phone collector!

Jim Stettler

You can always offer to sell them some repro replacement parts. I used to sell repro stuff to "Ghost Town" in Colorado Springs. They used modern elements and people would listen to a recording .

JMO,
Jim S.

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.