News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Are all receiver diaphragms alike?

Started by Greg G., October 04, 2011, 03:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I'm looking for a receiver diaphragm for my WE candlestick.  I found some on OPW that says they're for the E1, was wondering if that would work, also if diaphragms made by other manufacturers would work.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Wallphone

Adele0283 just had some for sale. The auction is over but I'm sure she still has some. Make sure you measure first to be sure you are getting the correct one. < http://tinyurl.com/3zdtr76 > The diaphragm on an E1 is only 1.75".
Doug Pav

Greg G.

Yep, that's the one.  Mine is either 2 1/8 or 2 3/16, depending on which part I measure (it's home-made).
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Wallphone

FYI, When you remove/install the diaphragm you should slide them off/on. The magnets in the receiver will hold it on.
Doug Pav

Greg G.

Quote from: Wallphone on October 05, 2011, 06:58:04 AM
FYI, When you remove/install the diaphragm you should slide them off/on. The magnets in the receiver will hold it on.
Doug Pav

Got it.  In this case, because of the odd shape and questionable material, it sticks to the inside of the cap.  BTW, Adele said she(?) will be temporarily suspending selling on ebay until Dec or Jan due to a move to another state.
- Mike Row
e

HarrySmith

This was posted on the list and I think the last part is appropriate for this thread. Info from a long time member.

Rob via listserv.icors.org to ATCA
show details 1:01 PM (20 minutes ago)

I was just digging through phone info and saw this tidbit of info that may or may not be of interest to you, but thought I would pass it on.

This is from March 1, 1917:
Receivers:
Never use a cap of #122 receiver on a #144 receiver. The cap of #144 receiver has extra threads to prevent loosening. New caps are marked #1370 on inside.
A #1370 cap may also be used on a #122 receiver.

Poll pieces are coved with laquer (usually red).  Do not remove or damage as rusting may result and cause loss in efficiency. Do not draw diaphragm across pole pieces or allow edge of diaphragm to come in contact with them.

Rob 783
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"