Candlestick telephone factory pic

Started by BDM, July 13, 2009, 01:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDM

Hmmm, interesting
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Jester

That's a great shot with lots of detail.  I like all those oscillating fans mounted strategically above the whole shop, and the lineshaft run lathe on the outside wall-- I'd guess a 14".  Judging from the blemishes on some of the sticks & the subset bases, this is the refurb./ refit department?
Stephen

HobieSport

Any idea what company this is? Neat picture.
-Matt

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Jester

the equipment appears to all be WE/NE-- especially the deskstands & the subsets.  It's harder to say what the payphones are, especially from the back-- but the receivers look like they could be WE 143's or 144's.
Stephen

BDM

Judging from the equipment, and the style fans. Add that metal subsets to the equation. I'd say circa late teens or early 20s.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Phonesrfun

I think about a year ago there was quite a bit of discussion on one or both of the club listserves about that particular photo and a series of other pictures that either came from the Google Life Magazine collection or the Corbis collection, but I don't remember if anyone was able to pin it down to what company or where the photos were taken.  Very detailed;  Beautiful B&W photography.

-Bill
-Bill G

HobieSport

I'd gladly work in those conditions.  ;)
-Matt

mienaichizu

Dennis Markham

Bill, I posted a link to that photo and a couple others on the ATCA List a while back.  Perhaps that's the posting you refer to.  I got the photos from Shorpy's.
www.shorpy.com/

There are a ton of great photos and stories there.

McHeath

Great photo filled with good historical details.  Notice that the older heavier man sitting down is wearing a tie, while the younger men are not and one even has his sleeves rolled up.  (the older guy probably thinks the "darn kids" are dressing too loose)

I've never worked assembly line before, but imagine that knowing me as I do that in about 15 minutes I'd be ready to go insane.  Some people love it, and do it their whole lives though.  My wife worked in a seat belt factory in the early 70's on an assembly line, her first job, and my folks both worked in canning factories in their youth. 

Dad told a fun tale of working in a green bean cannery in about 1944 in Rockford Ill, he walked up and asked for a job, was hired on the spot, taken right over to his work spot on the line and showed what to do.  12 hours later he was still there, told to go take a break and get some sleep if he wanted it, in his car in the parking lot, but be back on the line in 2 hours.  After 8 more hours he quit and walked away. 

foots

McHeath, I worked on a couple of assembly lines. One was bagging and stacking pesticides and the other was assembling sand filters for an oil field drilling eqiupment company. This type of work is pure torture and I'd rather dig ditches than being on an assembly line.
I really enjoy old photos such as this one.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

bingster

The photo is of a Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Company (Verizon) shop.  As Dennis mentioned, it came from Shorpy (one of my favorite blogs).  If you search the blog for "chesapeake potomac" or "telephone" or something similar, you'll find others related to this one.
= DARRIN =

HobieSport

Wow, Bingster, http://www.shorpy.com/ does have great pics! I'd never heard of it before. Another fun source of historical pics besides Google Life and Corbis.
-Matt