News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New guy's phone find

Started by EdPDX, April 29, 2011, 11:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdPDX

Hi all, glad to have found you. This is my 3rd rotary phone find. I also own a Ericofon and an Army Intelligence desk phone. All business black with a lamp on it that indicates others may have picked up an extension. Those are in service and work well.

This new phone is, from what I gather, an AE 183. I opened it to find it in the condition shown below. I understand that a ringer is required; but I found a "warbler" that installs in the base- I just don't know how they are wired. If you know, please help. I could sure use a hand.

If the pictures show any thing out of place, please let me know. Any other info you may have on these 183 phones would be welcomed as well.

Thanks in advance,

Ed

rdelius

That is an AE type 183,the Spacemaker . That warbler is an aftermarket item. Install it across the telephone line , has capacator built in. There should be diagrams of this telephone set on the web.Watch where dial wires go through the neck of the set and make sure they have not been damaged by twisting the dial around
Robby

Phonesrfun

Welcome to the forum, Ed.  I am wondering if the PDX part of you handle means you are in Portland.  I am the host of the Northwest phone show that we are holding in Bellevue on May 14th.  If you are in Portland, you might consider heading North that day for the show.  8am to 1pm and a tour of the Northwest Telecommunications Museum in Seattle later.

For more information, see the Shows and Events page or just click on this link: 

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4402.0
-Bill G

DARK FATHER

Where did you find the warbler?  I NEVER see those anywhere.

EdPDX

Bill, I got the warbler at phonecoinc.com.

Phonesrfun, thanks for the invite, I HAVE to be at class on that saturday, can't but I'd like a raincheck   :)

Robby, I have a schematic on this phone; but I don't get how the warbler is hooked-up. If you have any more info on what goes where, I'm all ears.   ::)

Phonesrfun

Ed:

We have the show every year, but unfortunately, it is only once a year.  Stay tuned for 2012. 

Your warbler does not seem to have any wires connected to it, and there are many of them out there, so it is difficult to tell you where to connect the two wires to it.  If you know where to connect the two input wires, those two wires would connect to the red and green wires coming into the phone from the line cord. 

I would snip the frayed ends off the black and yellow wires from the line cord and let them dangle.  They are not needed, and if you had a second line connected to your house, those two wires would be the second line, and having them like they are would short out the second line if the wires touched together.  If you have no second line, then it is no big deal, but snipping them would be best.
-Bill G

Greg G.

I have one.  What ever you do, don't take it apart unless absolutely necessary!  They're a bear to get back together!

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1537.0
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

EdPDX

Brinybay,

Thanks for the link, lots of stuff there to bookmark. Still have to find out how to wire in my warbler. The warbler I have has two connectors, I assume are used to hook into the phone somewhere. Connector one runs to  what I believe is a a leg of a disc Capacitor. The other connector runs to one end of a resister. No markings.

Can anyone tell me where to hook these up in the phone? Do they go on term. 15&16?

Ed

Greg G.

Quote from: EdPDX on May 03, 2011, 03:14:06 AM

Still have to find out how to wire in my warbler.

Ed

Sounds like a personal problem!  Hahaha!!  Sorry, I couldn't resist!   
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

EdPDX

I have been working on some other projects and still have not figured out this seemingly easy hook-up. I have the warbler shown in my OP and the phone as well. Please, if you know- or know a member that does, post a suggestion to attach this warbler. I have looked at schematics for this phone; but don't understand them enough to know what two? wires in the phone need to be attached to the warbler. I'd appreciate any input that helps me get this phone mounted and in service.

Thanks, Ed

HarrySmith

Hi Ed, welcome/
Get Out Now! It may not be too late! Once Phoneitis sets in you will be hooked. Just a few phones will turn into hundreds! There is no cure ;D
Seriously, enjoy the phones, that warbler is a neat item, first time I have seen it too. Try hooking it to the same 2 terminals your line cord is on, that should work.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

EdPDX

Get out?!?! I know you are just kidding; but really, how can you ignore these beautiful telephones of yore? The phone I am working on is very cool in my opinion. I also like the Ericophon, the table version of the Starlite, the basic Black Desk Phone... I know I may end up in the 12 step telephoners anonymous; but pick one up and see if you don't want one.

OK thanks for the encouragement. I am looking athe photos I posted and the phone has a RED and GREEN wire from the LINE attached as shown. Does this look right? and is there a reason I can't run a jumper from the screw with the RED lead to either side of the warbler (it has two connector sites)? In other words do I need to mind polarity of the ringer?

HarrySmith

Polarity should not matter. Hook it up and see! Thats basically how I do it, someone told me when I started there is no chance of hurting anything so just go for it, worked so far!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"