"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The End of another Era

Started by bingster, October 19, 2011, 12:52:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rtp129495

GG,

THAT is what i miss the most!!! to see it crumble after I bought my condo was very sad. I went to college and went through all the motions only to watch IT (computer) jobs goto China/India and being laid off as a computer tech in 2002. I bought my condo in '06 (really smart!) Still in entry level jobs as IT jobs are scarce now!! I work to stay broke for pennies. It's very hard. I may not even get to retire! very very sad......

Quote:
"Good union jobs at family-sustaining wages, middle-class prosperity for anyone with a high-school diploma and a reasonable work ethic, medical coverage and pension plan at work, lifetime employment, two weeks' paid vacation every year, having the house paid off before the kids left for the military or college, and sending the kids to college on savings rather than debt."

Greg G.

Quote from: Wallphone on October 21, 2011, 09:41:53 AM
The Rape of Ma Bell is a good book on the subject and can be found online here -
< http://www.beatriceco.com/bti/porticus/bell/rapeofmabell.htm > My opinion is that the cell phone industry would still be living in a cave if we had to rely on only Ma Bell to develop it. According to the book cell phone technology was invented by Bell Labs and then they sat on it for 15 years because they didn't see a future in it. Reference - "The Damage Report " starting on page 115. I also read either in this book or another one that the Cell Phone Technology was just a "throw in" in the final splitting of the company. Long Distance was where the money was at.
Doug Pav

Amazon has them used for a few pennies and the cost of shipping, around $4 each.  After I read my copy, I ordered 5 more, gave one to my gf, and distributed a couple more to a couple different employee lounge locations at work.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bigdaddylove

Quote from: GG on October 21, 2011, 10:15:03 AM

Good union jobs at family-sustaining wages, middle-class prosperity for anyone with a high-school diploma and a reasonable work ethic, medical coverage and pension plan at work, lifetime employment, two weeks' paid vacation every year, having the house paid off before the kids left for the military or college, and sending the kids to college on savings rather than debt.  The only things from that era that we can surely do without are the racism and other forms of prejudice that existed in those days. 

I completely agree, GG. My generation (post baby boomer) can only aspire to have it as good as our parents sans the intolerance.