News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How long will these phones last?

Started by McHeath, November 22, 2011, 02:04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

There is a WE 500 in the Seattle Telecommunications museum that went through a house fire that is probably beyond repair.  I could not find the picture of it, however.

I remember in the '80's there was a TV advertisement promoting the quality of WE phones over the new ones making their way to the market.  As I remember the ad, it was a fire department combing through a smoldering house making their way through the kitchen.  Suddenly, the half melted phone on the wall began ringing, and the fireman dowsed it with his fire extinguisher, and then the voice cut in to the ad and touted the quality of genuine Western Electric phones.

Since there are so many old ads on U-Tube, that one is probably there too.
-Bill G

Owain

Quote from: d_s_k on November 22, 2011, 04:56:47 AM
Well that lap has been powered continuously, so should we compare it with a phone connected, and in daily use, or to 110 years long conversation?

The life-length of the transmitter capsule is the problem, else, I'm sure it could stand the test  :)

dsk

It might be worth the long-term collector investing in a bottle of carbon granules for transmitters, carbon, restoration of.

Morganite Electrical Carbon are still a company operating in Swansea, Wales, UK, although I don't know if they are connected to the item in question.

Charles

I have an early 1970's W.E. 500 phone that was rescued from a demolished house after Hurricane Katrina. This phone sat under water for a week and was completely caked in mud and debris. I received the phone about a month after the flood waters receded. I hosed the phone off (inside and out) then washed it down with mineral spirits. I replaced the T1 transmitter and plugged it in . I got a dial tone and was able to dial out (even the original receiver element still worked). This phone is still in use. These original phones are bullet proof.

Doug Rose

When I found this phone is was caked with what looked like dried mud that was thick. I had no idea it had the Navy Insignia when I bought it, it was that bad. The inside wasn't as bad, but certainly not great. After cleaning it up and to my great joy finding a phone that I have never seen another like it; I connected dial tone.....it worked!! I have had this along time, long before I knew the difference between an AE34 and an AE40. This was one of the first phones I ever found at a Flea Market. It is truly one of my favorite phones. Yes, bakelite does chip and crack easily. But this tough guy would not go quietly and waited for me to find him......Doug
Kidphone

Owain

Quote from: Doug Rose on December 04, 2011, 10:56:55 AM
When I found this phone is was caked with what looked like dried mud that was thick. I had no idea it had the Navy Insignia when I bought it, it was that bad.

Have you any idea about the history/provenance of that phone? I doubt the cost of making those seals (dial dummy plates?) would have been spent on phones to be used by ordinary people.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Owain on December 04, 2011, 02:40:05 PM
Quote from: Doug Rose on December 04, 2011, 10:56:55 AM
When I found this phone is was caked with what looked like dried mud that was thick. I had no idea it had the Navy Insignia when I bought it, it was that bad.

Have you any idea about the history/provenance of that phone? I doubt the cost of making those seals (dial dummy plates?) would have been spent on phones to be used by ordinary people.
My guess is this is a phone that was used somewhere by the US Navy and not an ordinary phone made by someone. I have never seen another in my years of collecting....Doug
Kidphone