News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Polished Metal Bodies

Started by ....., November 08, 2017, 05:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

With other members polishing their metal phones, I thought I would give it a try.
So I cleaned up one of the 202's from the collection I bought last month.
It's a 1938 Northern Electric 202 D1 paired up with a 1947 Northern Electric N415H Magneto.   

TelePlay

Very nice, Duffy, and welcome to the BNT Club - (Bare Naked Telephone Club).

What did you put on the bare metal to keep it from oxidizing?

Quote from: TelePlay on November 08, 2017, 05:48:35 PM
Very nice, Duffy, and welcome to the BNT Club - (Bare Naked Telephone Club).

What did you put on the bare metal to keep it from oxidizing?

Thanks John,

I haven't put anything on it yet. I just did this today. Any suggestions?

TelePlay

Quote from: Duffy on November 08, 2017, 05:58:57 PM
Any suggestions?

Can't say enough about RenWax for bare metal (and painted metal surfaces and Bakelite - not plastic)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Renaissance-Wax-Micro-Crystalline-Polish-Large-Size-200ml-Tin-7-fl-oz/181530240919

It may seem pricey (and not sure what they would charge to Canada if they would  ship to you of if you could find it on Canada's eBay) but a little goes a long way. I bought two cans over a year ago and haven't use more than 10% of the first can, and I put it on all my lanterns, bare metal phones and freshly painted metal phones.

I said a lot about the wax in this topic reply:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19012.msg195752#msg195752

Others who I know who bought a can like it as well. Made for preserving surfaces and the shiny metal phone I put it on looks the same as the day I first coated it. The wax does not dry to a haze so its apply a thin coat, wipe with a microfiber cloth and it's done.

====================

EDIT: even cheaper to Canda with free shipping.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Renaissance-Wax-Micro-Crystalline-Wax-Polish-65ml-2-25oz-Can/322052881039

poplar1

Quote from: TelePlay on November 08, 2017, 06:08:58 PM

====================

EDIT: even cheaper to Canda with free shipping.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Renaissance-Wax-Micro-Crystalline-Wax-Polish-65ml-2-25oz-Can/322052881039

Did you go to the shipping tab and change the shipping destination to Canada? I am not seeing free shipping to Canada -- rather, $11.75 for 1st and $4.50 for each additional:

Quantity:  Change country: 
Postal Code: 

Shipping and handling  US $11.75
Each additional item   US $4.50
Service
Delivery*

Canada
USPS First Class Mail International / First Class Package International Service

Estimated Delivery within 7-13 business days
Seller ships within 1 day after receiving cleared payment

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Shows me 15.04 shipping.

Plus 20.46 for 65ml.

I just emailed a Canadian supplier for prices shipped to me. They are only a couple hundred miles away from me.

TelePlay

No, forgot to do that. Yes, $11.75 shipping to Canada. I did see it ships from the US but I didn't catch that being logged into US eBay made the Canada eBay see me as being in the US.

However, If I used Canada eBay to buy a can, it would be $2 cheaper to me than buying it on the US eBay site.

Still, at $35 to Duffy, it's worth it. A very thin wax that does not change the appearance (it a clear coating, not a make it shinier wax), does not show fingerprints and protects the surface for years.

It's got to be somewhere in Canada, as Duffy found out in the above post.

Haf

I'm always amazed that shipping from the US to Canada is the same as to Germany. If I'm correct, USA and Canada border each other, to here there is a big pond inbetween. Strange, strange..

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

TelePlay

Quote from: Haf on November 08, 2017, 06:56:06 PM
I'm always amazed that shipping from the US to Canada is the same as to Germany. If I'm correct, USA and Canada border each other, to here there is a big pond inbetween. Strange, strange..

It might be that international shipments go through the eBay Global Shipping program and it seems like the minimum shipping markup is $10-15. I just sent a 1 ounce package to Italy through the Global Shipping program and postage was $16, for one ounce. On one hand the buyer ends up paying a lot but from the seller's perspective, it takes a lot of time out of international shipping. IIRC, I send a 3 pound box to Europe not using the GSP and that was only $12, but I had to do all the paper work. The buyer ask for a shipping quote on multiple items and the cheapest was to do it myself.

Haf

The ebay global shipping programm...something real special.

Quote from: TelePlay on November 08, 2017, 08:10:24 PM
I just sent a 1 ounce package to Italy through the Global Shipping program and postage was $16, for one ounce.

It's not only the shipping costs but- what you as seller don't see- there are additional handling charges by Pitney Bowes the buyer has to pay. Sure,  they do all the paperwork and  tax and custom fees are included. But they get paid royal for that.
If ever by from you on ebay, don't ship with global shipping program, ship first class or priority USPS and you get the handling fees from me directly for you effort, no problem ;)

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

Quote from: TelePlay on November 08, 2017, 06:43:47 PM
No, forgot to do that. Yes, $11.75 shipping to Canada. I did see it ships from the US but I didn't catch that being logged into US eBay made the Canada eBay see me as being in the US.

However, If I used Canada eBay to buy a can, it would be $2 cheaper to me than buying it on the US eBay site.

Still, at $35 to Duffy, it's worth it. A very thin wax that does not change the appearance (it a clear coating, not a make it shinier wax), does not show fingerprints and protects the surface for years.

It's got to be somewhere in Canada, as Duffy found out in the above post.

The Canadian supplier got back to me:

"The price of 200 ml is $36.00 and the 65 ml is $26.00. The shipping by mail is $14.99 to your door."

200ml looks to be the better deal.

TelePlay

This US supplier has it at $42 including shipping to Canada for 200 ml which is $8 less than your Canadian supplier.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Renaissance-Wax-Micro-Crystalline-Wax-Polish-200ml-7oz-Can/322025595077

Yes, 200 ml is the better deal, didn't realize they made a small 65 ml can.

Here is what I get when I click on your link.

Shipped from eBay US Supplier $28.50 + $24.71 = $53.21 CDN total
Shipped from Canadian Supplier $36.00 + $14.99 = $50.99 CDN  total

Not a lot of difference in price.

TelePlay

I get $22.50 plus $19.50  but that is US currency so you are right. I didn't factor in the exchange rate. Sorry.

Quote from: TelePlay on November 11, 2017, 09:41:10 AM
so you are right.

Thanks John, Now can you tell that to my wife.  ;D