News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Magnavox Console Stereo

Started by McHeath, February 21, 2010, 11:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

We found this Magnavox Console at a local thrift store.  When we walked in it was $125, so said a little yellow sticker.  Looked it over, liked the googieish style and the small size, but that was too much.

Came back on the way out and it was $75.  Hmm.  The owner was right there and after some haggling we were down to $55.  Okay, load it up.

No radio, no 8 track, just a LP player.

Worked, but needed help.  So I took the changer out and cleaned and lubed the motor, the control arms, cleaned the transfer wheel, and ta-da, works great!

The cabinet is real wood with a few small dings, but otherwise it's in good shape.  All I had to do was polish it.  All the speakers work well and it has good full sound. 

From what I've learned the turntable/changer unit is actually a British Collaro, it's not a high end job and just has a pressed steel turntable with a transfer disk drive.  On the bottom of the changer is a label with handwritten info on the wow and flutter.  It's all solid state, no tubes.

Pretty fun to watch a changer in action again, load up a few records and it drops them one at a time, the arm comes up at the end and taps to see if another is there and it then repeats the process.

The changer is dated to Oct of 1963 and the cabinet has no date code, but I'd guess it from about the same time judging by the styling.  Cabinet was made in Indiana, changer in England.  We've been spinning a lot of vinyl last couple of weeks since we got it. 

Craig T

It looks great. I like the stylish arms on the changer too. I like the early Magnavox products, I have one of the multiplex units.

JorgeAmely

McHeath:

My parents bought one just like that loooong time ago at a PX store when my dad was a veteran. It brings back a lot of good memories (Burt Bacharach, The Supremes, The Monkeys, The Beetles, etc, etc).

Jorge

Greg G.

Nice find!  Usually when these show up in thrift stores they're beat to death.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AET

Very nice!  I recently turned one down for 25 bucks for lack of room, sorry now.  Yours is WAY nicer!!!!!!  Very impressive shape and a heck of a find.  Gotta love the style they had.
- Tom