News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Uncovering my Dad's Radio Collection

Started by MagicMo, December 30, 2012, 01:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicMo

I have uncovered just a few radios but I have more to go through. As you can see he hid them in the attic eves and it's difficult to get to them.
I know nothing about any of them so if you have knowledge you would like to share I would appreciate it!  Check out what I found:
Thanks!
~Maureen
Practice Kindness :)

MagicMo

More pics

MagicMo

a few more

AE40FAN

Phonesrfun

Oh my!  Combined with the phone stuff and the Picturephone, I'm speechless.
-Bill G

MagicMo

Quote from: Phonesrfun on December 30, 2012, 02:18:17 PM
Oh my!  Combined with the phone stuff and the Picturephone, I'm speechless.

Oh My is right! He collected many things, phones (you saw most of that), radios (still uncovering the collection), tools (really cool tools and some that date back to the 1800's), coins (let's just say he had an unbelievable collection of coins), jewelry, books, art, car stuff, bikes and so on, and so on. This is truly a collectors dream to stumble on this. I do have to say though, that of everything he collected I love the phones the best and that's gonna be the hardest stuff to let go.
Thanks
Maureen

MagicMo

Oh Yeah! Did I mention my Dad collected phones too?
LOL!

Phonesrfun

He must have been an active (and avid) collector his whole life.  What a marvellous treasure.
-Bill G

rdelius

Surprised to see the Polish Galixy (goplana) set.If I remember correctly  4 tubes including eye.That sailboat Zenith is something some Trans-Oceanic collectors want also

McHeath

dpaynter1066

Dont plug any of them in, if they are unrestored originals, the filter capacitors have dried out and shorted.  Plugging them in can blow out the transformer or in the case of an all american 5 could burn something.

Lots of infomationr about restoraton and schematic diagrams can be found at

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/

Phonesrfun

The dried capacitor issue is the same one we discussed when talking about the power supply for the Picturephone.  So, I agree, don't risk frying something by trying one out. 
-Bill G

MagicMo

Quote from: dpaynter1066 on December 31, 2012, 10:00:23 AM
Dont plug any of them in, if they are unrestored originals, the filter capacitors have dried out and shorted.  Plugging them in can blow out the transformer or in the case of an all american 5 could burn something.

Lots of infomationr about restoraton and schematic diagrams can be found at

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/

Thanks for the info. None of these will get near a plug, I swear!

MagicMo

Quote from: Phonesrfun on December 31, 2012, 12:19:55 PM
The dried capacitor issue is the same one we discussed when talking about the power supply for the Picturephone.  So, I agree, don't risk frying something by trying one out. 

No frying in my future!  ;)

MagicMo

A few More Radios:
Thanks,
Maureen