News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 124: WE 1957 Mediterranean Blue 500 - Ended 7/12/14

Started by TelePlay, July 05, 2014, 04:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

This was just listed about 2 hours ago at $100.00 with no reserve in a 7 day auction. It has a few minor defects, as shown in the pictures, along with a fat grey handset cord so once again, the question is, who best knows the selling price of this phone?

EDIT:  Went in to check the current bid price to discover this auction has been changed overnight to an auction with a "reserve". I might not have done this auction contest had this been known yesterday when it was listed. But, it is what it is and being a "reserve" auction, as in past, the right is hereby reserved,  to cancel this auction completely with no winner if the auction bids DO NOT exceed the reserve, whatever that might be, when the eBay auction ends.

The seller listed it as an "Rare old vintage antique 1957 mediterranean blue western electric rotary phone" with the item condition as "Used" and " - - - " with the auction listing description as:  "Rare and coveted 1957 Mediterranean blue Western electric 500.  Soft plastic.  Thoroughly cleaned and polished.  Had suede foot pads professionally redone.  Missing line cord and sold as is (not working).  Phone was part of my display.  Will be selling more in the future.  I combed this phone over and wanted to point out every condition issue as minor as some are and still believe it is in excellent vintage condition. Please review photos thoroughly before bidding: - Slight fade (with handset caps) hard to tell in photos. - removed some sort of glue substance from underside back of handset causing the mark, thank goodness color is uniform and it's in an inconspicuous spot.
- Mild cord markings on side from many years of storage I'm guessing. - Small light brown spot on bottom front."

http://www.ebay.com/itm//291184101721

We will use of a 3% gap between guesses to prevent crowding. As such, guess gaps of 6+% can be split. I'll help with these as the auction goes forward and guesses are entered. It's another chance to either move up a rung or to get onto the CRPF -> Contest Standings <- list.

. . . for as twocvbloke said,    - - - >  "You gotta be in it to win it ! ! !". . .   ;D "

New forum members are very welcome and encouraged to take a guess. After all, there are no wrong guesses, just one lucky one. No one knows the winning bid on any auction until it ends. However, it is important to get your guess in before someone else grabs your guess.

If you want to see the phones of past Auction Contests, click -> HERE <-

S C O R E B O A R D

$    310.00 - Kenton K  ( 5 )
$    320.00 - WEBellSystemChristian. ( 13 )
$    350.00 - WesternElectricBen  ( 1 )
$    375.00 - TelePlay  ( 12 )
$    400.00 - Mr. Bones  ( 7 ) -> WINNER - Final Selling Price $400.00
$    475.00 - maarm  ( 3 )
$    500.00 - poplar1  ( 4 )
$    550.00 - kleinkaliber  ( 6 )
$    584.00 - Fabius  ( 8 )
$    620.00 - david@london  ( 9 )
$    650.00 - HarrySmith  ( 2 )
$    710.00 - MagicMo  ( 11 )
$    757.00 - tallguy58  ( 10 )

Early Morning Auction Status Changes

07-05-14     Listed    $    100.00
07-06-14     0 bids    $    100.00  (reserve set)
07-07-14     2 bids    $    152.50  (reserve not met)
07-08-14     3 bids    $    200.00  (reserve not met)
07-09-14     3 bids    $    200.00  (reserve not met)
07-10-14     6 bids    $    250.00  (reserve not met)
07-11-14   12 bids    $    400.00  (reserve met)
07-12-14     5 bidders, 12 bids $400.00 Ended at 11:20:41 PDT

WesternElectricBen

350$

I believe the seller is AE40Fan, so good luck.

Ben

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Kenton K

Mr. Bones

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Fabius

$550

EDIT:  Changed guess, temporarily, to a "split the difference" guess of $585.00
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

TelePlay

Here's the 3% no crowding gap spreadsheet for this contest, after 10 guesses.

unbeldi

Quote from: TelePlay on July 06, 2014, 11:28:03 AM
Here's the 3% no crowding gap spreadsheet for this contest, after 10 guesses.
What is the purpose of this?

TelePlay

To keep people from guessing to close to entered guesses, as set forth in the Auction Contest Rules as stated in Rule #3.

The rules state 10% total gap with no closer that 5% to prior guesses but over many contests, I've found that phones with well known value can be more fun with 3% or 4% since the smaller percentage allows more people to get into the contest. A higher percentage blocks out too many gaps. This contest is set a 6% total gap with no closer that 3% to prior guesses.

This spread sheet lets members who have not guessed know what ranges are available under the "no crowding" rule and keeps me from writing numerous PM to those playing who guess right on top of some other members guess.

I've been doing these, and keeping them updated, for at least 10 contests now and it works well.

So that's the purpose of this spread sheet. The box in the upper right within the box is the cheat sheet of what price guesses are still available.

unbeldi

I do not see the necessity of 'rules' for guessing.
Seems to me it would be a lot more interesting if people could specify what they actually think an item is worth, rather then selecting unused 'spots'. An aggregation of guesses around a price point would indicate a collective value estimate and not effect the outcome at all. As it is, the 'contest' is really just a game.

TelePlay