News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 137: Mysterious WE 500 Blue Prototype - Ended 10/07/14

Started by TelePlay, September 29, 2014, 08:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Listed just about a day ago in a 7 day auction with a reserve is this extremely rare and unique WE prototype blue 500. The phone was listed at $0.99 and in one day's time was up to $122.50 with 17 bids. This phone was posted in its own topic . . .

---> Mysterious WE 500 Prototype on Ebay <--- 

. . . and since there are many comments and a discussion going on there, that would be a good place to continue talking about this phone. As such, only guesses and comments on the guesses should be put in this contest topic.  A bit unusual but no need to have two discussion threads going on this interesting phone. So, with that said, once again, who knows best what this phone will sell for when the bidding ends?

As with recent reserve auctions, the right is hereby reserved to cancel this auction completely with no winner if the auction bids DO NOT exceed the reserve, whatever that might be, when the eBay auction ends.  ( The reserve has been met )

The seller listed it as an "VINTAGE 1960 WESTERN ELECTRIC/BELL LAB PROTOTYPE ROTARY DESK PHONE! WEIRD RINGER" with the item condition as "Used" and "Do not know if it works" with the auction listing description as simply a "VINTAGE 1960 WESTERN ELECTRIC/BELL LABORATORY BLUE PROTOTYPE DESK TELEPHONE! WEIRD RINGER! WE!!   | |   A terrific collectible - A VERY UNUSUAL 1960 WESTERN ELECTRIC/BELL TELEPHONE LAB DESK PHONE!   | |   LIGHT BLUE   | |   A GRILL HAS BEEN ADDED TO OUTSIDE OF THE PHONE, SEE PHOTOS   | |   THE GRILL WAS MACHINED, NOT MOLDED   | |   THE TYPICAL HOLES IN THE METAL BASE FOR THE RINGER ARE NOT PRESENT   | |   THE POSITION OF THE HANDSET CORD OPENING HAS BEEN MOVED, THE OLD LOCATION IS PRESENT. -- THE RINGER HAS BEEN REMOVED & REPLACED WITH ANOTHER PART., IT'S OUTPUT IS AIMED AT THE GRILL   | |   THE WHITE SUBSTANCE ON THE NEW 'RINGER' WIPES OFF EASILY, I DON'T KNOW IF IT'S A COATING OR MOLD   | |   NEXT TO THE NEW 'RINGER' IS A SMALL BULB, SEE PHOTOS, I DON'T KNOW THE PURPOSE OF THE BULB, IT CANNOT BE SEEN FROM THE EXTERIOR   | |   THE RINGER VOLUME KNOB IS ELECTRONIC & TURNS EASILY   | |   TWO WIRE HOOKUP, RED & GREEN WIRES   | |   MOLD MARK INSIDE PHONE COVER IS DATED 1960   | |   EAR & MOUTHPIECE ELEMENTS & BASE OF PHONE ARE ALL DATED 1960   | |   BASE READS: 'PROPERTY OF BELL TEL LAB. MODEL SET 1244'   | |   THE ROTARY DIAL WORKS SMOOTHLY   | |   THE HANDSET & WALL CORD ARE IN GOOD SHAPE   | |   THE PLASTIC BODY & HANDSET ARE SHINY AND IN GOOD SHAPE, NO CRACKS, BUT THEY DO HAVE SOME SIGNS OF USE   | |   THE BASE HAS RUST STAINS, SEE PHOTOS   | |   WEIGHS ABOUT 4 1/2 POUNDS   | |   UNTESTED, I DO NOT KNOW IF THE PHONE WORKS, IT MAY BE BROKEN, SOLD AS-IS   | |   A RARE FIND!!!"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381011594702

NOTE: we will use a 3% gap rule between guesses to prevent crowding. As such, guess gaps of 6+% can be split. I'll help with these as the auction goes forward and guesses are entered.

It's another chance to move up a rung or to get onto the CRPF -> Contest Standings <- list, for as twocvbloke said,   ---> "You gotta be in it to win it !!!" ;D "

New forum members are very welcome and encouraged to take a guess. After all, there are no wrong guesses, just one lucky one. No one knows the winning bid on any auction until it ends. However, it is important to get your guess in before someone else grabs your guess.

If you want to see the phones of past Auction Contests, click -> HERE <-

S C O R E B O A R D

$       650.00 - poplar1  ( 4 )
$       787.00 - tallguy58  ( 3 )
$       888.00 - AE_Collector  ( 8 )
$       950.00 - Slal  ( 10 )
$    1,001.00 - HarrySmith  ( 5 )
$    1,100.00 - Fabius  ( 8 )
$    1,175.00 - Sargeguy  ( 11 )
$    1,212.50 - AE_Collector  ( 17 )  * revised guess
$    1,250.00 - Kenton K  ( 2 )
$    1,287.50 - twocvbloke  ( 12 )
$    1,350.00 - WesternElectricBen  ( 3 )
$    1,450.00 - Mr. Bones  ( 7 )
$    1,500.00 - Russ Kirk  ( 1 )
$    1,545.00 - tallguy58  ( 16 )  * revised guess
$    1,750.00 - kleinkaliber  ( 6 )
$    1,950.00 - baldopeacock  ( 9 )
$    2,175.00 - AdamAnt316  ( 14 ) -> WINNER - Final Selling Price $2,201.99
$    2,837.50 - TelePlay  ( 15 )
$    3,500.00 - Weco355aman  ( 13 )

Early Morning Auction Status Changes

09-30-14     Listed     $         0.99
10-01-14      8 bids    $       61.00
10-02-14    22 bids    $     171.50    (reserve not met)
10-03-14    28 bids    $     999.00    (reserve has been met)
10-04-14    28 bids    $     999.00
10-05-14    28 bids    $     999.00
10-06-14    28 bids    $     999.00
10-07-14    28 bids    $     999.00
10-07-14    13 bidders, 31 bids $2,201.99  Ended at 19:00:24 PDT

Russ Kirk

I have one suggestion and two predictions.

First suggestion - let's make this an auction contest.  I'll throw my hat in the ring for $1500.

First prediction - this will go for big bucks!
Second prediction - Paul-F 's  great web site may have this phone added sometime in the future.  I looked and did not find it.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Kenton K

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

TelePlay

Just a note: I can't believe I was successful at creating this topic and merging the guesses out of the original topic. I don't remember what I did but it worked and nothing got lost or messed up. It takes a gazillion moves to do it and I didn't take notes. I can't believe I was successful . . . .  :o

Anyway, this contest is up and running, as requested. I will re-arrange the photos later when I get on my "big" machine.

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Quote from: TelePlay on October 01, 2014, 08:19:17 PM
Just a note: I can't believe I was successful at creating this topic and merging the guesses out of the original topic. I don't remember what I did but it worked and nothing got lost or messed up. It takes a gazillion moves to do it and I didn't take notes. I can't believe I was successful.

I noticed that! Scary isn't it?

This is a cool collectible in the telephone category for sure....

I'm going $888.00

Terry

Mr. Bones

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Slal

Unbeldi warns might not be able to use on normal POTS-- else blow a transistor.  If it cannot use it... This will be an interesting auction.  How much will a collector spend on a phone he might not be able to use?

Poplar1 or Tallguy58 might be onto something.

Assuming reserve around 450 or so...

$950 if not crowding between AE_Collector and HarrySmith.

Statistical Method: ANOVA  (add numbers on virtually anything)  :)

--Bruce