News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 142: AE Candlestick with subset and Mercedes dial - Ended 10/19/14

Started by TelePlay, October 13, 2014, 07:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

I won again! Unbelievable! I guess I must know my AE prices......er, maybe I am just lucky when it comes to "not really winning anything"! Anyway, I'll take it!

Thanks,
Terry

Russ Kirk

Congratulations in winning!

I do have one question, the auction stated it had a Mercedes dial, but the dial actually had a cross. So AE made the two types of dial centers?
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

TelePlay

Quote from: Russ Kirk on October 20, 2014, 01:13:07 AM
. . . the auction stated it had a Mercedes dial, but the dial actually had a cross. So AE made the two types of dial centers?

Good question that could have been raised during the auction. I took it as the sellers words as stated in the eBay auction as having a "mercedes dialer" and be it one or not, that's the way it was listed. Maybe some of the experts in these dials can discuss this dial now that the auction has ended.

wds

Although I don't think I've seen that type of dial ring, if you notice the dial had the very early - glass over the cardboard number card.  I have one of these dials, and I believe this was the first "mercedes" dial to be produced immediately after the Sunburst dial. 
Dave

AE_Collector

I have seen this four segment type of number card retainer on occasion as well but not nearly as frequently as the three segment retainer. I dont have any idea which came first but Dave's idea that it was likely the first after the sunburst dial sounds quite likely to me. It may have been as simple as there being more room to write instructions in each of the larger segments no the Mercedes type retainer. That small number card divided into four areas sure doesnt leave much room!

Terry