News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric TYPE 44 magneto box

Started by Sargeguy, May 06, 2013, 08:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

Purchased this beauty on eBay for the princely sum of $66.56.  It is an old magneto box that was converted to a compact "pony" wall phone.  The conversion was completely non-standard, with a non-ABT marked cup screwed to the front of the phone (no bracket).  Here is a rundown:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171029306231

WOOD:  The exterior of the phone is fairly beaten up.  There is a chip in one of the corners of the front door and a couple of small gouges. There are screw holes from mounting the transmitter and a couple screw holes in the side near the patent dates.  There were a few spatters of paint that I scraped of with my fingernail.  Dr. Frankenphone carved out some notches between the hinges to create switches that close when the door closes.  He tried to mask this work by leaving a strip of wood in place, but there is a chunk missing visible from the side.

HARDWARE:  All 11 binding posts are present and have there nickel.  The lock works and has the escutcheon plate.  The nickel is good on this piece and the two pieces that cover the switch-hook hole.  The switch-hook is in excellent condition.  The bells have all there nickel and feature to old style round knurled bell nuts.  The *250* transmitter has good nickel, as does the non-ABT cup.  The magneto crank has lost some nickel.  

ELECTRONICS:  The phone has a funky arrangement combining its original configuration with some non-standard modifications to make it into a wall phone.  There is a cut out switch that prevents you from signalling when the phone is off hook.  There is also some strapping work that seems to follow the pattern of a 4-hinge box without the hinges.  Instead, the straps are tipped in copper and touch when the door is closed.  The top of the receiver is nice except for a bend in the strain relief tie down, the housing is cracked beyond repair and the cap and diaphragm are AWOL.

The bells would not ring when I cranked the magneto when the hook was in either position.  One of the wires that was attached to the hinge was broken, I loosened the hinge and tucked it underneath and now it works great.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

I cannot find a reference to a TYPE 44.  Anyone have any information?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

After looking the phone over I have reached the following hypothesis:

The box was initially used circa 1893 as the upper box of a two box wall phone.  The phone was later obtained by an independent who converted it by removing the coil from the arm, placing it in the phone, and screwing the transmitter to the front door.  They then added the straps, cutting away wood in the process.    They placed a plate over the ABT disclaimer and patent dates, which explains the screw holes.Restoration would entail removing the coil and it's associated wires, removing the straps, then replacing the damage to the wood, refilling screw holes etc.  Of course then I would need a backboard, battery box and writing shelf.  It seems too interesting to part out however, and it works.  

This is why I should never buy parts phones.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409