"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Opinion on eBay Bidding

Started by Doug Rose, August 14, 2016, 07:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Eric;
Great to hear from you, don't be a stranger.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jack Ryan

Sometimes I see another bidding strategy that I think is a waste of time.

A fellow "binge sniped" presumably in an attempt to overload eBay. Six bids at the same time all of the same amount. He has feedback of 1425 so he must be an expert.

Jack

JimHyak

Wait a minute -
QuoteHigh Dollar Japanese collectors
Really?? Is that who I keep losing to? And they're speculating on American phones?

How on earth do you know this, D/P? What have I been missing?

And "binge sniping"?
Are they trying to block someone else's bids? I don't see how that could work, it appears to me that eBay keeps the window open just a bit longer and then analyzes the bids (time stamps?) to see who won. I made complaints to them in the past about not accepting my manual snipes when I was pretty sure they were in time (clocks synced and all that). They started asking me a bunch of questions about how I bid. At the time it sure sounded to me that I wasn't the only one. Within a few weeks, the problem went away. My bids were always accepted if on time. This was a couple of years ago, I have not had any problems since. Hmmm.....
Jim
It's not hoarding if you have cool stuff!

Jack Ryan

Quote from: JimHyak on August 24, 2016, 04:47:45 PM
And "binge sniping"?
Are they trying to block someone else's bids? I don't see how that could work, it appears to me that eBay keeps the window open just a bit longer and then analyzes the bids (time stamps?) to see who won. I made complaints to them in the past about not accepting my manual snipes when I was pretty sure they were in time (clocks synced and all that). They started asking me a bunch of questions about how I bid. At the time it sure sounded to me that I wasn't the only one. Within a few weeks, the problem went away. My bids were always accepted if on time. This was a couple of years ago, I have not had any problems since. Hmmm.....

As I said "presumably in an attempt to overload eBay" and "he must be an expert" was sarcasm.

It remains though that quite a few bidders send multiple bids - same time and same amount - even when they are not sniping. In the latter case, we are meant to think that the bidder is *really* serious and they have bid to sky-high levels.

Jack

Jim Stettler

Some snipe programs send multiple snipes from different servers to make sure they get thru. I have had auction sniper send 3 bids before.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

poplar1

Quote from: Jack Ryan on August 24, 2016, 07:38:52 PM

It remains though that quite a few bidders send multiple bids - same time and same amount - even when they are not sniping.

It is more likely that they are entering higher and higher bids, rather than the same amount. (I don't think you can bid the same amount as you have already bid). But since they are in effect bidding against themselves -- and not another bidder -- Ebay will leave their bid at the same amount it already is, if there are no other higher bidders yet.

On the other hand, sometimes a single bid is recorded by Ebay as two or three separate bids at the same time by the same bidder. This has happened to me several times.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: poplar1 on August 25, 2016, 01:29:29 AM

It is more likely that they are entering higher and higher bids, rather than the same amount. (I don't think you can bid the same amount as you have already bid). But since they are in effect bidding against themselves -- and not another bidder -- Ebay will leave their bid at the same amount it already is, if there are no other higher bidders yet.

The bids were the same amount, I bid higher and they didn't separate.

Jack