News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

An Odd Caller ID

Started by 19and41, February 02, 2015, 03:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

It makes me wonder if the calling companies pay call-connection fees on their bills though, on domestic calls over BT lines here you have to pay a connection fee, cos even if the call lasts for about 1 second, it's connected, and all those fees would add up, which to me would be bad business sense to throw away all that money because an auto-dialler couldn't do a simple job like say "Are you free Mr Humphries?" before dialling... ???

Still, that's what the TPS is for here, anyone who calls, you tell 'em "This line has been registered with the Telephone Preference Service, you are breaking the law", and usually that results in them hanging up... ;D

baldopeacock

Quote from: twocvbloke on February 10, 2015, 09:55:02 AM
Still, that's what the TPS is for here, anyone who calls, you tell 'em "This line has been registered with the Telephone Preference Service, you are breaking the law", and usually that results in them hanging up... ;D

Do they keep calling back regardless on that side of the pond?   We have the same thing, the "Do Not Call Registry".   It's universally ignored by the telemarketing creeps.   Once in a blue moon, one of them gets busted and fined, but not nearly often enough.

twocvbloke

It depends on the country of origin, if the call is from within the UK and they're calling a TPS-registered line, they will be fined if the recipient lodges a complaint with the TPS, if it's from abroad (I.E. the annoying indian call centres), then they're not bound by TPS law as they're not in the country, but even so stating the above line I posted usually gets rid of them, but as it's getting more expensive for call centres abroad to operate (that and the British people demanding that call centres be here in the UK cos we can't understand most of the foreign callers!!), then the calls have reduced, but, not by a lot...

19and41

The device I use on my home phones holds the first ring, reads the caller ID and if it is one of the 80 numbers or exchanges or area codes I have blocked, it lifts the hook and drops it.  If you are near the unit, you can hear a relay trip.  That's it.  It's a valuable unit when working nights.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

unbeldi

twocvbloke

Just think how many unwanted calls would be eliminated if they upped that price a lot... ;D

unbeldi

Quote from: twocvbloke on February 10, 2015, 01:13:32 PM
Just think how many unwanted calls would be eliminated if they upped that price a lot... ;D
There are many providers that are just as cheap, even cheaper.

twocvbloke

Well, if all the carriers did it (you know, to maximise profits on these unwanted calls), then they'd be more pricey across the board... ;D

unbeldi

Quote from: twocvbloke on February 10, 2015, 01:35:05 PM
Well, if all the carriers did it (you know, to maximise profits on these unwanted calls), then they'd be more pricey across the board... ;D
That's against the law.   ....  Sherman Antitrust Act of 1890.

twocvbloke

Quote from: unbeldi on February 10, 2015, 01:42:29 PMThat's against the law.

And breaking communications & privacy laws that were put in place to prevent endless streams of unwanted calls isn't?? ???

unbeldi

So what is there left that is still allowed?