News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

how to replace a dial card on WE500

Started by mienaichizu, October 28, 2008, 12:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mienaichizu

maybe anyone of you guys can answer this since because you have experience on WE500
its my first time to refurbish a 500 and it has been bothering me how to replace a dial card

benhutcherson

Here's the basic procedure for plastic fingerwheel dials:

1. First, look at the rim around the center portion-between the 9 and 0 holes, there should be a tiny hole.

2. Turn the dial all the way around, and then put a straightened-out paperclip in the hole you located earlier. Push the paper clip all the way down, and you should feel a click.

3. You can now turn the finger wheel around some more, and the whole thing should lift off.

Now that the fingerwheel is off, you can access the number card.

To put it back on, place the fingerwheel on top of the dial so that the hole normally used for 0 is over the 9 dot. You should feel it settle down in place. Then, rotate the fingerwheel so that the holes will line up with their respective dots correctly. You should feel it click in to place.

Metal fingerwheels are easier. You just need to press down on the top of the number card retainer ring. The ring will then hinge right off.

mienaichizu

AET

Hi guys, sorry to bring up an old one, but I have tried this process on all 3 of my phones, granted only one is a WE, but I can't get it to work.  Any tips or easier to follow instructions.  Remember, I'm a super-amateur.
- Tom

Dennis Markham

Tom, they do get difficult sometimes.  If you go to the Bell site and look and what's under the finger wheel it may help.  Look at it from the side while the dial is at rest.  you can see the little tab sticking  up into the small opening of the finger wheel.  Dial the wheel around like normal and hold it at the stop.  Push the pin (or whatever you're using) through the little hole.  The pin pushes the tab down to clear the plastic.  Then continuing to turn it counter clockwise until the tab clears the indent and lift up.  I find the finger wheels are more difficult to get off the later dials.  I have even reached in with a long thin knife and held the tab down with the point of the blade while turning the wheel.  Does the same thing.  The difficult part sometimes is lifting the wheel off the dial hub.

AET

Alrighty, it's almost 11 o'clock already, so I won't get to it tonite, but I will have them all apart tomorrow! Thanks!
- Tom

AET

Well, it was an ordeal, but I did it on my Western Electric and my Stromberg Carlson, will do my ITT when I have more time.  They look great!  Thanks guys!
- Tom

bingster

The first time you do something like this, it's always a little rough.  But once you've done it a few times, you'll be able to do it in your sleep.
= DARRIN =

AET

Thanks for the kind words Bingster!  The ironic thing is the first one I did, the WE went real smooth.  It had no dial card, so I could kinda see what I was doing and the dial popped right back on when I was done.

Then came my SC, the thing is like brand new in every since, It's a 72, with a 68 Dial, and an 80s refurbish, I'd have to look to tell you what exact year.  But I don't think it was ever used after the refurbish to be honest.  I got the dial off fairly okay, replaced the card, and then spent about an hour trying to get the dang thing back on!  Every time I'd think I had it on, it would pop back off.  I was cussing and throwing things and scratched up my beautiful old 1956 Blonde Dresser :(  And was trying to keep it down since I finished the project at 3am.
- Tom