News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Vintage Radios, CB, Amplifier...

Started by Craig T, February 12, 2010, 04:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig T

This is the best of the vintage radio equipment that I have. I know a lot of you folks also collect too. I told D/P that I was going to put up a post after he asked about the D-104 Microphone I had in my avatar at one time. I do have one question for you at the end.

1. First up is the Comstat 35, last tube cb radio that Lafayette made also with it is the D-104.

2. Second, the Sansui Sax-200 Tube Amplifier Crica 1963, this was the high end unit for Sansui that year, they had the Sax-100 and this one. This may have been the first FM model too, I may be wrong there though.

3. Zenith Royal 1000, my grandpa gave me this one which makes it all the better, I shined it up and here it sits. The tag in the back made it even better, it was also from my great-grandfather from Greece!

4. Bottom to top:  Morale Radio (Zenith or one other company made them unmarked, another company managed to get their logo on these, I fogret the exact names).  

Then the Hallicrafters S-38A: this need a new cord, but it looks like new. The cord just plain dry rotted from sitting so long.  

On top is one of my favorites it is an old siren from emergency vehicles. I also have the Federal speakers that mount under the bumper for them.

5. Here is the ? mark for me, grandpa gave this one. He had traded with a guy who was supposed to bring the whole Ham radio and this is what showed up. I have very little info on this unit, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wallphone

Do you use the Sansui?
I had one back in the early 70's and it kicked butt.
The power rating is grossly underrated.
Dougpav

Craig T

Yes, it badly needs the electrolytics updated though. I bought it from an 80 year old man, retired from USAF. No one who came by in months was interested in the vintage TV electronics repair equipment and such he had... till I got there. I bought most of what he had.

He kept telling me that the Sansui was one heck of a powerful amp. It does need a couple little pieces that I will keep my eyes out for. I walked out on the amp initially and got about 1/2 mile down the road and the car suddenly did a 180 and I found myself back at his door for the amp  :)

Netdewt

I just about went for a Detrol 571, really cool table radio, but I'm afraid of killing myself. They all have hot chassis.

I have a Dual 1228 turntable.

Phonesrfun

I also have a Dual turntable.  In the early 70's I was a hi-fi technician, and I used to repair Dual and Gerrard and other turntables.  Duals were not the highest end turntable going, but they were very good and being German made were very well built and engineered.

Regarding the radio, those chasis' have been around for a long time.  The plastic knobs and the wood cabinet were usually enough to keep from getting shocked.  They also made it so that usually the chasis was floating, and not actually hooked to any side of the line, but some were.  The ones that floated were ok, until the capacitors in the power supply go bad and leak AC to the chasis at a level big enough to cause a shock.

To make sure, you could wire it with a modern three-prong plug, and wire the green ground wire to the chasis.  If the original cord has one side that is hard wired to the chasis, wire the white (neutral) lead to that side.

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

Wallphone

If you use a three pronged plug I would make sure the outlet was wired correctly.
These little testers just plug into the outlet and according to how the three lights come on, you can tell if your outlet is grounded correctly.
Dougpav

Kenny C

I have a crosley record player but that is about it besides phones. I have over 100 45's (all from the fifties or early sixties). When pepole I know start talking about music they like I am like " I like the platters and Buddy Holly." And they are like who? And when they found out I have a record player they where like you are ancient.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

AET

Sounds just like me when I was 13, 6 years ago haha.

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on March 16, 2010, 04:04:51 PM
I have a crosley record player but that is about it besides phones. I have over 100 45's (all from the fifties or early sixties). When pepole I know start talking about music they like I am like " I like the platters and Buddy Holly." And they are like who? And when they found out I have a record player they where like you are ancient.
- Tom

Kenny C

old records are hard to find and I know this guy who will sell records for $.25
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan

Got an original Elvis "Blue Hawaii" album for a buck last year. My brother offered me $20 for it, just for the  album cover art. I miss that mostwhen it comes to Cd's. Heck, MP3's have no art @ all!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Kenny C

I agree 100% . Some pepole dont like the crackle of records but i think it is one of the most beautiful noises
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

AET

St. Vinnie's here in town has tons of them at I think fifty cents a throw.
Quote from: Kennyc1955 on March 17, 2010, 10:21:37 PM
old records are hard to find and I know this guy who will sell records for $.25
- Tom

Netdewt

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on March 17, 2010, 11:36:24 PM
I agree 100% . Some pepole dont like the crackle of records but i think it is one of the most beautiful noises

Not sure you all know this, but hardcore hifi-ers swear by records. CDs compress the sound, where vinyl sounds very alive. You have to have a nice turntable and clean records though. Digital music is not better, it's just cheaper and easier.

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Netdewt

Old microphones... those are pretty.