News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Speaking of radios - 1952 Philco

Started by Phonesrfun, August 21, 2010, 09:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

Here is a photo of a 1952 Philco I bought today for $22.  It caught my eye for its futuristic look.  Other than it has a very loud AC hum, it works.  The hum is probably a dry DC filter cap in the power supply.  Either that, or the DC rectifier tube needs replacing.
-Bill G

Dennis Markham

Cool radio, Bill.  Careful, it's another addiction!  Do you plan to refurbish it electrically?

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Dennis Markham on August 21, 2010, 11:53:13 PM
Cool radio, Bill.  Careful it another addiction!  Do you plan to refurbish it electrically?

Yes, I do believe I will.

-Bill G

AE_Collector

Who was speaking of radio's?

Just kidding. Cool looking radio Bill!

Terry

Phonesrfun

Quote from: ae_collector on August 22, 2010, 01:51:24 AM
Who was speaking of radio's?

Nobody was, so I did  :)

I can speak radio too!

KD7PTG

-Bill G

AE_Collector

Quote from: Phonesrfun on August 22, 2010, 01:59:11 AM

I can speak radio too!

KD7PTG

Oh good, I'll get my crystal set out and try to tune you in!

Terry

jiggerman

That is a cool looking radio, I like the designs from the 50`s. As Dennis said, radios and phones are addictive ( highly addictive). Jiggerman

Doug Rose

Addictive is the key word, but I think its more of a passion. It started with telephones, but branched out to Clocks, Radios, Fans, etc, basically anything that works from an era gone by. The quality of old mechanical equipment is night and day to today's sh*t. Although telephones are my main passion, I  amaze myself when I get a clock or radio to work. Clocks are right behind telephones, I love any clock that is not electrical. I love the sound of a clock ticking, the same way I love the way a #2 dial sounds . I am beyond help....Doug
Kidphone

paul-f

Mine started with slide rules and mechanical calculators -- but they've been swamped by the phones.

I speak radio too.

N1DQZ
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson