News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Has anyone heard from Finlover lately ?

Started by Dan/Panther, April 21, 2010, 08:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Where has Greg been, haven't seen a post from him in quite awhile ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

LarryInMichigan

JorgeAmely

I am sure he is working, tweaking, adjusting his time machine, so he can bring more phones to the 21st century.
Jorge

Dan/Panther

Of course he's collecting more Ebay Goodies.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

finlover

Hello, my peeps!

Sorry I have disappeared from the scene lately, but something exciting (only to me) has happened.  Recently I've been asked to re-join a band I was in 10 years ago (I play bass and sing).  We'll play mostly private parties.  The format is classic country and rock 'n roll from the '50s and '60s.  I sold my gear long ago so I've had to track down all new stuff, and I have to get my "chops" up.  Working on all these phones has kept my finger strength good though. 

When I told my dad about the band he generously let me have his '65 Fender Jazz Bass.  He always said it would come to me after he passed on, but he had hand surgery a couple of years ago and doesn't have the hand strength to play it anymore (not that he played it much anyway).  Surprisingly it's worth a small fortune--8 to 10 thousand--so I can't let it out of my site at gigs!  I'll post some photos of it soon.

The turquoise 500 that's on ebay right now is from my personal collection:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190390178187&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT
( dead link 01-23-22 )

I found a turquoise '64 a while back that isn't quite as nice, but being the first year (and the only year with a #7 dial), it's a little more interesting.  Strangely, it has little Light Beige spots on an area of the case that go all the way through--I've never seen that before.

Dennis Markham

Greg, that sounds pretty exciting...playing in the band again.  We'll all have to pile into Tom's station wagon and drive down to listen.  Post a sound clip.

Are the beige spots near the ringer mounts?  I've had several that were "burned" from the out-gassing from the rubber on the ringer mounts.  One of them, a light gray 554 is all the way through the plastic.

finlover

Just like with phone collectors, people who are into vintage guitars know all the little design details and colors that identify the year.  Instead of fingerwheels and soft plastic, it's fret markers and nitrocellulose lacquer.

JorgeAmely

Quote from: finlover on April 22, 2010, 06:33:16 PM
Hello, my peeps!

Sorry I have disappeared from the scene lately, but something exciting (only to me) has happened recently.  Recently I've been asked to re-join a band I was in 10 years ago (I play bass and sing). 

Just like in the movie "The Blues Brothers"? (Just don't use your nice car!)

??? ??? ???
Jorge

finlover

Quote from: Dennis Markham on April 22, 2010, 06:37:27 PM
Are the beige spots near the ringer mounts?  I've had several that were "burned" from the out-gassing from the rubber on the ringer mounts.  One of them, a light gray 554 is all the way through the plastic.
No, these are small, well-defined spots on one side of the housing and a cluster of them on the front under the dial.  If this were turquoise the stone they'd be called "inclusions". :) Maybe the plastic wasn't mixed right or something.

finlover

Quote from: JorgeAmely on April 22, 2010, 07:07:14 PM
Just like in the movie "The Blues Brothers"? (Just don't use your nice car!)
We're on a mission from Gad.

JorgeAmely

Very funny!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Please, proceed with your mission.
Jorge

AET

Gosh Finlover, you and me could sure be good friends in reality.  I've always wanted to be part of a classic country/oldies band.  AND Jorge, Blues Brothers is my 2nd favorite movie of all time (Behind American Graffiti) Nothing as great as driving a cop car.  "It's got a cop motor, 440 cubic inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop brakes.  It's a model before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas"
Sadly my 2000 crown vic is a cop car, but doesn't meet all those criteria :(
- Tom

JorgeAmely

Tom:

The Blues Brothers is one of my favorite movies also. It was a sad day in America when Belushi died, but sometimes you can't prevent people from doing something stupid.

Greg:
Snap a picture of the band for show and tell.
Jorge

Jester

I think the "Blues Brothers" would be a great movie to remake with a phone collector theme.  For example, here's one scene I thought of:

The 'Brothers walk into an Antique coop that's loaded with old phones & ask the dowdy clerk about the different brands she has for sale.  "Oh, we have all kinds here", she says.  "We sell both Western AND Electric!!"  Then, Carrie Fisher--nah, she's not acting anymore--then Sandra Bullock comes in the door with both guns blazing at the ceiling, shouting "What about Kellogg or Stromberg-Carlson!!"  Barely escaping with their lives, the 'Brothers burn rubber out of the parking lot in their retired phone truck with "BEechwood 4-5789" blairing on the radio.  ;D

Greg,
Just remember, "If you're gonna play in Texas...".  I got my fiddle ready to go!
Stephen