News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Trimlines - the least common color?

Started by baldopeacock, March 12, 2010, 03:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

Jorge, I have not tried to repair it.  But that is a good idea.  Those pieces are a little flexible and you kind of squeeze them from each end to bow it in order to have it snap into place.  I bowed it a little too much. 

baldopeacock

Quote from: JorgeAmely on March 19, 2010, 12:02:23 AM
Dennis:

Have you tried Crazy Glue on it with a piece of plastic on the back to act as a stiffener?

I had a similar thought.   I was thinking that a piece of the plastic "flash", the thin excess in a plastic model kit,  would also work and might bond well with the original plastic.

Phonesrfun

The problem I see is that what ever piece you put behind it to reinforce it would need to be very thin.  Otherwise it would force the front to be pushed out a bit.
-Bill G

Jim Stettler

If you use a # card in the hole then positioned the plastic peices in place, then glue it, It might work.

Before you try you might want to open the phone 1 more time and take photos of the guts. Once the  Plastic is fixed, you won't be able to remove it.

Just my thoughts,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dennis Markham

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I will eventually make an effort to repair that piece.  I have been using this phone at my work bench.  It's in relatively good shape but has a split in the cord where it plugs into the phone.  The mounting cord does not match.  It is white with a 4 prong plug.  It works great.  I use it daily.

jsowers

Quote from: Jim S. on March 17, 2010, 08:22:41 PM
A couple of quick cauctions.
!. Be careful remove the screw cover, it is easy to mar the plastic.
2. Be careful removing the screws, it is easy to slip and mar the plastic.
3. Be careful re-installing the cover, they are easy to snap in half (or 3). I think if you soak them for a minute or so in a cup of hot water it would be a good idea.

Jim, those are all great tips. I would add a couple more. Try to remove or install the clear number card cover or colored logo plastics using a fingerwheel removal tool or, if you don't have the tool, a large paper clip in the hole. Carefully, of course. I have been lucky and never broken one doing it that way.

I use a 1950s Bell fingerwheel tool--a little yellow handled tool with a stiff pin inserted in it. It works better than just fingers for installation of those pieces. A light touch is always better on a Trimline. Don't tighten the cover screws really tightly on the handset. The plastic threads can crack. I can speak from experience on that one. Trimline plastic is really delicate.
Jonathan

Jim Stettler

Quote from: jsowers on March 23, 2010, 02:12:40 PM
Quote from: Jim S. on March 17, 2010, 08:22:41 PM
A couple of quick cauctions.
!. Be careful remove the screw cover, it is easy to mar the plastic.
2. Be careful removing the screws, it is easy to slip and mar the plastic.
3. Be careful re-installing the cover, they are easy to snap in half (or 3). I think if you soak them for a minute or so in a cup of hot water it would be a good idea.

Jim, those are all great tips. I would add a couple more. Try to remove or install the clear number card cover or colored logo plastics using a fingerwheel removal tool or, if you don't have the tool, a large paper clip in the hole. Carefully, of course. I have been lucky and never broken one doing it that way.

I use a 1950s Bell fingerwheel tool--a little yellow handled tool with a stiff pin inserted in it. It works better than just fingers for installation of those pieces. A light touch is always better on a Trimline. Don't tighten the cover screws really tightly on the handset. The plastic threads can crack. I can speak from experience on that one. Trimline plastic is really delicate.

Been there, done that, and I have the cracked plastics to prove it.

The tool is the best option. I have been meaning to take mine to Ace and compare the dia. of the wire. to see what size it is.
I don't think I have ever tried re-installing using the tool. The only Time I break them is on re-install. I have a bunch of trimlines  I want to open and photo, (then sell).

I think "softening" the insert in hot water might help and shouldn't hurt the plastic, I suspect they were more flexible when they were new.

Bell system used a lot of networks on the trimline models.
No one has seemed to document the trimline much. The BSP's say to replace the handset. I have noticed lots of differences in the handsets I have opened. I want to record the "guts" before I start selling off the phones.

Regarding the screw bosses, not only do they crack if overtightened, they also "strip" if you open them to much.

Jim

You live, You learn,

ESalter

Out of probably 50 trimlines, I only have one black one.  It's NOS round button one from a former phone company employee.  I haven't seen too awful many of them, even on ebay.

Adam

I have a newer style, square button black Trimline in my collection.  I'd love to get a rotary one, of any vintage.

Also, did GTE/Automatic Electric make the Styleline in black?  I don't think I've ever seen one...
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Jim Stettler

Quote from: masstel on October 16, 2010, 01:57:58 PM
I have a newer style, square button black Trimline in my collection.  I'd love to get rotary one, of any vintage.

Also, did GTE/Automatic Electric make the Styleline in black?  I don't think I've ever seen one...

A Sq button black of a standard trimline is a HTF color.   

I used to haqve a clear rotary styleline with a black cord and dial center, so I would assume they made a black styleline.
Terry,  AE_collector would know, he is on  vacation and away from the forum right now .
Jim
You live, You learn,

Shovelhead

I have a round button dated 12/69 desk set in black I've had it since new.

At the time it was ordered, it took a couple of months to get it. My mother was a Service Rep for Michigan Bell and was told that she needed to order it in advance as we were moving to a new house and being a unusual color. The move got canceled, the installation order was canceled, but the phone got "forgotten" in the process.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Shovelhead on October 17, 2010, 07:54:22 PM

At the time it was ordered, it took a couple of months to get it. My mother was a Service Rep for Michigan Bell and was told that she needed to order it in advance as we were moving to a new house and being a unusual color. The move got canceled, the installation order was canceled, but the phone got "forgotten" in the process.
Great heirloom. That is a scarce phone and Family history to boot.
It's a keeper.
JMO,
JIm
You live, You learn,

Shovelhead

Quote from: Jim S. on October 17, 2010, 11:16:12 PM
Quote from: Shovelhead on October 17, 2010, 07:54:22 PM

Great heirloom. That is a scarce phone and Family history to boot.
It's a keeper.
JMO,
JIm
Still in use today, four different residences, two states.

Dave F

Here's a clear rotary version with clear cords and the original F-series boxes, and also a 1220 in pink.

McHeath

Wow, that pink 10 button is pretty nice!  And the clear one even has the boxes.  It's interesting how transparent plastics was a big fad in the late 90's and early 2000s as well.