and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

But this one's different...

Started by Greg G., November 03, 2009, 07:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan/Panther on November 04, 2009, 03:32:51 PM
Quote from: bwanna on November 03, 2009, 08:03:59 PM
lol, briny...you sound just like me. i keep buying & buying all i do is boast about the good deal i got & add to the stack of things to do.  oh well, maybe someday i will be a woman of leisure,free to do my own will all day. ;)

the devil made me do it ;D

Bwanna;
Heres' a news flash, I've been totally retired for 14 years now, and I have no less pending, and no more accomplished, than the day I retired.  It's still 10 in, 1 out.
Problem now is sometimes i go into boxes, and wonder, "Why did I buy That?" Then I get rid of it at yard sale, or whatever, then a year later, I wish I had it back, and buy another one, for ten times what the original one cost me. Then justify it by saying inflation made it worth the current price.
D/P

I don't feel so bad now...
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Craig T

Quote from: Brinybay on November 04, 2009, 08:54:39 PM
Quote from: Dan/Panther on November 04, 2009, 03:32:51 PM
Quote from: bwanna on November 03, 2009, 08:03:59 PM
lol, briny...you sound just like me. i keep buying & buying all i do is boast about the good deal i got & add to the stack of things to do.  oh well, maybe someday i will be a woman of leisure,free to do my own will all day. ;)

the devil made me do it ;D

Bwanna;
Heres' a news flash, I've been totally retired for 14 years now, and I have no less pending, and no more accomplished, than the day I retired.  It's still 10 in, 1 out.
Problem now is sometimes i go into boxes, and wonder, "Why did I buy That?" Then I get rid of it at yard sale, or whatever, then a year later, I wish I had it back, and buy another one, for ten times what the original one cost me. Then justify it by saying inflation made it worth the current price.
D/P

I don't feel so bad now...

Cleaning them up and showing them off used to be my favorite part. I am right with you all these days. Hopefully the winter will snap me out of it  :P

Greg G.

Only took me 3 years, but I finally got around to bleaching it.  Why is it the dial bezel seems to resist the bleaching process more than the other parts?  I used the retrobrite treatment.  Did two treatments, including the long cord.  The second treatment was with a 75w full spectrum bulb. 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Well said (quote below from 2009) Brinybay!

The number rings frequently seem to be a slightly different color than the rest of the phone on the lighter colored early AE 80's and 90's. And they discolor at a different rate too.

There is some incorrect info earlier in this thread re the N indicating color Antique White. N refers to the Network in the phone not the color. The 19 in the middle of the coding on the base is the "white" indicator.

Terry

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 04, 2009, 12:36:12 AM
Actually, AE phones have quite a following, but not as much as WE phones, probably because WE and the Bell System was once so prevalent.  I don't know that I would consider AE to be substandard in their workmanship to WE when it came to the phones or even their other equipment.

I used to think that General Telephone was way substandard to Bell System.  When I grew up in Portland, OR, we lived in the suburbs and right next to the borderline where Ma Bell left off and GTE began.  My friends that had the misfortune of being in GTE territory had it pretty bad.  It was a joke.  However, I learned that GTE, formerly General Telephone had bought out an independant in the towns of Gresham and Beaverton called West Coast Telephone Company, and until GTE could build a new central office, they were using the old CO that had served the farmers in those areas for years prior to WWII.  The facilities were terribly outdated and way over capacity.

Once GTE got their new CO going and put in new cables and lines, you really could not tell the difference in the level of service between GTE and Bell.

I think this image was one that GTE had to fight all over the country, and was still fighting right up to the last.  Particularly since TV shows always featured Bell System products.

That being said, I do own more WE phones than AE's but I think historically AE has had a bum rap.

George Knighton

Quote from: bwanna on November 04, 2009, 07:52:48 PM
so, there's no hope :(
It almost doesn't matter how much time I spend on phones.  It can hardly equal the money wasted on racing and cars in general over the past few decades.
Annoying new poster.

Russ Kirk

Quote from: Brinybay on December 12, 2012, 10:57:31 PM
Only took me 3 years, but I finally got around to bleaching it.  Why is it the dial bezel seems to resist the bleaching process more than the other parts?  I used the retrobrite treatment with a 75w full spectrum bulb.  Did two treatments, including the long cord. 

I am ready to do some bleaching myself.  Just a quick question,  did the numbers and letters lighten when you placed the bleaching compound on top of them?
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

HowardPgh

"But this one's different" is my excuse for when I buy the same type of phone again for the tenth time.
Howard
Howard

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Russ Kirk on December 13, 2012, 12:10:06 PM
I am ready to do some bleaching myself.  Just a quick question,  did the numbers and letters lighten when you placed the bleaching compound on top of them?

The numbers on these bezels are molded in black plastic.  I don't think that peroxide will bleach them.  I have bleached several bezels without a problem.

Larry

Greg G.

Quote from: Russ Kirk on December 13, 2012, 12:10:06 PM
Quote from: Brinybay on December 12, 2012, 10:57:31 PM
Only took me 3 years, but I finally got around to bleaching it.  Why is it the dial bezel seems to resist the bleaching process more than the other parts?  I used the retrobrite treatment with a 75w full spectrum bulb.  Did two treatments, including the long cord.  

I am ready to do some bleaching myself.  Just a quick question,  did the numbers and letters lighten when you placed the bleaching compound on top of them?

No, they don't bleach out, you can even sand them, but I detest sanding and usually only do that on scratches because it's such a tedious chore.
- Mike Row
e