"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 2 Line Rotary 511 C/D for 1A Home Interphone System

Started by John S, July 13, 2010, 08:53:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsowers

Quote from: Dan/Panther on July 15, 2010, 11:56:52 AM
I'm not quite clear, is this a transmitter device, or hard wired ?
D/P

Definitely hard-wired. And what wires! Posted below is a red 511X I have. Look at all the wires. Just like John S., I got it on eBay (but in 2003), thinking it was a two-line phone. I was surprised to find all the stuff inside too. I don't know what the X stands for, but this phone has been to the refurb shop judging by the mixed dates on it (the housing is 9-16-59, the dial and chassis are 5-61) and there's a splash of black paint on the bottom. Likely in 12-65, judging from the red date stamp.

One other thing I forgot to mention earlier was the Home Interphone was one of the few "flops" in marketing from the Bell System. I don't think it ever caught on like the Princess or the Trimline. It may have been just a little too complicated for its time.
Jonathan

Dan/Panther

Jonathan;
Any way you could post the entire BSP in PDF format ? I compiling all of my BSP's in numeric order in pdf files, and would like to add that one.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

jsowers

Quote from: Dan/Panther on July 15, 2010, 09:39:00 PM
Any way you could post the entire BSP in PDF format ? I compiling all of my BSP's in numeric order in pdf files, and would like to add that one.
D/P

Dan, I don't have easy access to Acrobat Pro. If anyone knows how to do that without Acrobat Pro, I'd be interested to hear about it. I do have Photoshop, but it's an old version and I don't think I can save as a pdf file, but to be honest, I've never tried. I will gladly email you the scans if you have a way to do it and can PM me your email address.
Jonathan

easytiger

Easy, Tiger..."it's life...you don't figure it out.  You just climb up on the beast and RIDE."  --Vivi, "Divine Secrets"

paul-f

Anyone can create .pdf files relatively easily using any of a number of freeware packages that interface to windows applications like a printer.

Do an internet search for "free pdf creator" and take your choice.

I've had reasonably good luck using cutePDF.  I see from other threads that others have used PDFill.  If anyone has other favorites, please share them.

I scan individual pages into a folder, using filenames with the page number last so the files will be sorted in order, then "print" the contents of the folder to a .pdf file (e.g. BSP-p01.jpg, BSP_02.jpg, etc).
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dennis Markham

I like this site for converting files to pdf files:

http://www.primopdf.com/online.aspx

I use it mostly for converting Microsoft Word files to PDF but pretty much any file can be uploaded.  From time to time the page seems to take a while to load but eventually I'll get my pdf.  Once it accepts the file it is sent via e-mail instantly.

~Dennis

Babybearjs

Just one piece of the puzzle, wheres the rest? keep looking, maybe a interphone control unit will show up! wonder if the phone can be wired into a 1A1 system and have the handsfree unit work....   John
John

poplar1

I found a two-line Princess with the Home Interphone Transmitter inside. The phone is marked 711B  11-64. It has a 14-conductor mounting cord but no special markings.

I thought the 14-conductor cord was possibly an indication that it had been used on a 1A Home Interphone. However, according to BSP 502-710-410 Issue 3, the D14H or D14L cord was standard.

So apparently the only clue when looking for these is that it has one clear plunger and one white one. The left white plunger pulls up and can be used for mechanical hold of the other line, for exclusion, or in a Home Interphone just for holding the C. O. line.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.