News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Found this in the trash - 302 c/w E1 Handset

Started by persido, September 08, 2012, 04:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

persido

Was out for a run, found this phone in the trash along with a Dumont tv set and tons of other items. Come to find out the owners of the house was getting rid of everything in the house, the guy that lived there had passed away and his son was cleaning up the house to put it on the market. He told me the phone was sitting on the desk in the hall for the last 65 years, it was still plugged into the wall he said the cut the wires. I asked him if I could have it, he said sure he was just gonna put it in trash.
So Im looking for some info on this phone, I did some searching on the web and found out its a we 302, but thats all I know.....please help if you can thanks.

LM Ericsson

Looks like a very lucky find. That's a WE302 with an E1 handset. This particular model is an early model which has the vents under the handle, and short cradle ears. If you can, take a look inside the phone to find out the year of the phone, most likely a 1937, the first year of production.
Regards,
-Grayson

Tom B

You have one hell of a lucky find there my friend. Right place, right time for sure ;)
Tom

persido

Thanks for the info, I opened the phone up and yes 1937 was found in several different places, how much would a phone like this be worth?......Thanks

jsowers

Wow! The number card on that phone must date to the 1940s as well. Only a few larger cities had cards like that and I think Philadelphia was the last to discontinue 3L4N (three letters and four numbers) in the late 1940s.

To think that something could be installed and in use that long and then tossed aside by someone like a chewing gum wrapper. It's a very sad commentary on the throwaway society we live in today. Thank you for saving that beautiful phone and sharing its story.
Jonathan

TelePlay

Quote from: persido on September 08, 2012, 07:24:41 PM
. . . how much would a phone like this be worth?......Thanks

I'll give you $3.50 plus shipping.  ;D

Seriously, it's worth a lot more, a lot more. The bottom is beautiful. Feet need to be recovered to make it look like new but being riveted, a bit more of a challenge. But even for 65 years, the feet look good.

The number card is fantastic and the dial plate numbers and letters look perfect. What a great find.

Post pictures of each of all of the parts inside. Use the Macro setting on you camera to get them in focus. If it's as clean as the bottom, a lot of us are going to be very jealous.

poplar1

It would probably be worth over $100 even without the original paint job and the original number card. I'm guessing you're in Boston, Philadelphia, New York City or Chicago since these are the only 4 cities where you dialed the first three letters of the central office (KIR) + 4 digits. I'd have a hard time passing a trash pile like that one!
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

LarryInMichigan

What a find!  Many of us have been looking for one of those for years.  I expect that that phone would sell for more than $200.

Larry

persido

tell302man

WOW the trash! I have found many phones including a 3 slot payphone today but never in the trash. That is a very lucky find indeed!

LarryInMichigan

Some of the phones that I found and bought should be in the trash :(

Larry

AE40FAN

Doug Rose

Quote from: persido on September 08, 2012, 09:59:15 PM
Yes I am in the Boston area.
As am I. Welcome to the Forum. Outstanding find! On an old phone the dates are what make it special. Check the handset elements, both will be dated. Other parts inside the base of the phone will be marked as well including the back of the dial. You should find a little wood stub under the dial as well. This is from the first run of WE 302s. Yours looks to be in very nice condition. Post some more pictures. ....good luck....as you are now hooked....Doug
Kidphone

persido

I opened up the phone and took better photos, with a better camera.

Doug Rose

Outstanding!!! Did you try to make it work? ....Doug
Kidphone