News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another 1937 302?!?

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, January 25, 2016, 11:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Seems like today would have been a good day to play hooky from school!
Dave

RotarDad

Christian - We're all excited to see what you've found.  I hope it's an early '37!   On the powdercoat/not powdercoat question, I think there are collectors who value different things.  One type of phone is the fully restored, super shiney version that looks new.   Many people like that end result.  There are others who prefer the entire history of the phone (finish, evidence of wear & tear, etc.) to remain.    There are others with various thoughts in between including paint versus powdercoat.  My preference is to repair and restore as needed, but to leave as much originality as possible.   I do work to remove scratches from plastic, and I always want the phone to work and the dial to spin smoothly, but I never polish the bells and I'm OK with some missing paint.  If a phone is in really bad shape, then doing anything to save it is better than it ending up in the junk pile.  IMHO there are two important things:  1) do what you want with your phones, and 2) disclose what you've done when you sell them so the next person is informed.  Just my 2 cents........  ;)  awaiting pics of your new find!!
Paul

Doug Rose

Christian...I am a big fan of original paint. Power coat seems to fill in the letters, but I am no expert. I have had phones painted for display, but I never say they are original. You can always tell a repainted phone as it doesn't have the same "japanned" luster to it.

It is your phone...congrats...do with it what you like. I like nothing more than original paint with a tiny bit of metal showing through on the cradle ears....but that is just me....Doug
Kidphone

Ktownphoneco

Christian  ....  Congratulations !  Nice job spotting that set.   The dial opening apparatus blank ( 82A-3 ) was the one used with the 302 manual telephone sets of the day.     Attached is a page out of Western's 1950 Telephone Apparatus Catalog dated 1950, which shows an image and description of the apparatus blank. 
Looking forward to the pictures.       Have a great evening.

Jeff Lamb

WEBellSystemChristian

Doug; you have no idea how bad this finish is. It doesn't look too bad from a couple feet away, but get any closer and you start to see that the entire phone is covered in paint bubbles. This is no factory job. I'd guess the original paint is sitting underneath this coat, and it was covered in some sort oil or grime. Believe me, I try to save paint where I can, but this is beyond hope. The first pass of polish and the paint will start flaking off in sheets.

like to say that a fully restored phone with shiny black paint/powdercoat is at least original in the way that it's WE's vision of a perfect phone. If they had the technology in the thirties of using magnetic heat-curable powder that stood up to wear far better and for far longer than paint, I think they would choose that over a japan finish. To me, what WE used for paint looked cheap brand new; in other words, it looks like a rattlecan job if I replicated it today. It may not be the original texture, but the gloss powdercoat sure makes a phone look like a showpiece for many years.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on January 29, 2016, 06:51:16 PM
Christian  ....  Congratulations !  Nice job spotting that set.   The dial opening apparatus blank ( 82A-3 ) was the one used with the 302 manual telephone sets of the day.     Attached is a page out of Western's 1950 Telephone Apparatus Catalog dated 1950, which shows an image and description of the apparatus blank. 
Looking forward to the pictures.       Have a great evening.

Jeff Lamb
I am aware of the 82-A. I think what threw me off on looking different from a mundane 82A is that this one has an ink stamp instead of being stamped into the metal.
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

By the way, I did wipe off the white gunk on the base, and the date is 3-37...first quarter 1937!!! ;D
Christian Petterson