News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1950 500 given to me by Dennis M

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, February 06, 2016, 03:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

A few days ago, I received a box in the mail that Dennis had told me he was going to send to me, but he hadn't specified what it was. When I opened it up, I was speechless. It was his beautiful 1950 500! He had also packed a letter, explaining that I had mentioned wanting an early 500 in an earlier post, and decided to give his to me while he's thinning his collection out a bit. He said that his only request was that if I ever decide to stop collecting (not likely within the next 60 or 70 years... ;) ) that I give it to another collector who will appreciate it.

Again, thank you so very much, Dennis! This will always hold a very high place in my collection! :)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Phonesrfun

Oh my word!

That's Dennis for you, always thinking of others!  :)

He's a great guy.  You have a beautiful set there. 
-Bill G

WesternElectricBen

That's a beautiful set, and it was incredibly kind of Dennis!

Ben

CanadianGuy

Wow, that's very trusting and generous of him. My in-laws once gave one of their siblings a car as a nice gesture, as they may have been struggling (or appeared to be) and they turned around and sold it!

There's too many people out there who only want to make a buck, so it's always nice to see someone willing to give up something valuable. I'm assuming that's the case here?

Doug Rose

Very nice phone Christian....very nice gesture Dennis....Doug
Kidphone

JimH

Very nice!  I was just thinking that in about 35 years it will be 100 years old, and probably still working fine.  All you will probably need is a wireless converter.  I'm sure land lines will be long gone.  Very nice of you, Dennis!

Jim
Jim H.

Dennis Markham

Thank you, Christian and to the others for the comments.  Christian and I spoke on the phone the other night after he received the phone.  He asked if I had a problem with him posting about it.  Initially I thought against it as I didn't want our other young collectors to feel slighted.  Christian put my fears to rest a bit so I told him to go ahead if that's what he wanted to do.  I'm not looking for any recognition.  I was helped many times by collectors that had much more collecting experience than me.  I just want to return the favors.  I especially like to help out our younger collectors.  Christian was the obvious choice to have this phone.  It was just collecting dust on my shelf.  It can collect dust on his for a much longer time.

I bought the phone from our friend Russ Cowell of T.C.I. fame a number of years ago.  The torch has been passed.

I'm pleased that you're pleased, Christian.

~Dennis

AE_Collector

Is that it on the Vintage Rotary Phones.com banner on the bottom of your posts Dennis? Looks quite likely!

A very generous gesture and I am sure it will be enjoyed by its new owner.

Terry

Dennis Markham

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 06, 2016, 08:19:25 PM
Is that it on the Vintage Rotary Phones.com banner on the bottom of your posts Dennis? Looks quite likely!

A very generous gesture and I am sure it will be enjoyed by its new owner.

Terry

No Terry. That phone is my "birthday" phone.  It was made on the day I was born.  Five years after the 1950 model.  Thank you.

Dan/Panther

Christian; What a great surprise.

Dennis;
A mighty fine gesture.

I have one each of every year black WE 500's. The only one I don't have is the 1950.
Well except the 1949 also.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson