News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Phone Loot from Michigan Vacation

Started by savageje, June 19, 2010, 08:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

savageje

Just got back from a week vacation in West Michigan (which is one of the country's hidden treasures, by the way).  I got to tour the USS Silversides and LST-393 in Muskegon and spent a fair amount of time on the beach with a couple of good books.  Of course, I made time to -- you guessed it -- troll around for phones. 

I think I had a few pretty cool finds.  I thought I'd post a few pics of my haul. I think my favorites are the Stromberg-Carlson and the four-button Candlestick Interphone (although the latter is pretty banged up and needs some work).  The 302 is a dates-matching 1938 metal body with a #4 dial (my first).

I don't know much about the silver box wired to the WE Space Saver.  I assume it is a ringer box, but I haven't taken it apart yet to see what's inside.  I haven't been home long enough to hit the BSPs, either.

savageje

Forgot to mention that I also picked up a badly-yellowed white 701B Princess (not pictured) for $5.  I thought I couldn't beat the price and it would be a good chance to try out some of the bleaching processes that others have suggested here.  For what it's worth, here's another shot of the group.

Jim

Jim Stettler

You found some nice stuff. Jim

I have always liked those intercom sticks. I think that is the first 4 position one I have seen. The ones I recall are 8 button.
I also like the stromberg. I used to collect  compact wood sets.
I probably have a dozen asst. ones packed away in the basement.

Princess phones are always worth at least $5.00.

JMO,
Jim S.

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

bwanna

what a great haul, jim. do you remember which shops you were in? i antique the west side of mich often. when you get up that way again, it's worth the extra hour drive to ludington. several great shops there, including us10-31 antiques, where i have a booth.
donna

McHeath

Good deals!  That 302 is sweet, very early, and the candlestick has a lot of charm with it's handwritten locations. 

savageje

Bwanna:  I hit so many of them it is hard to remember them all.  I got the Stromberg at an antique mall in Pentwater, and the Princess at one in Grand Haven.  The others were all from places in Grand Rapids.  We usually spend one day in Grand Rapids during our summer migration to the "third coast." I wanted to get up to Ludington, but ran out of time (not to mention "telephone money" and space in the car.)  Based on your recommendation, I'll do so next time I'm there.  We may go back for a long weekend later in the summer.  It probably depends on how much I spend at the ATCA show in Shipshewana.  ;-)

Dan

Love your finds! The candlestick is especially cool. I will be vacationing in a couple of weeks and hope to get good deals like you did!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

Jim, great telephones.  It looks like you did OK on your vacation.  I especially like the Stromberg Carlson wall phone too.  It looks like it could be the same vintage of the one I picked up a while back, however mine is minus the receiver.  Nice additions to your collection.