News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Any lube suggestions for bakelite handset cap threads?

Started by guitar1580, January 05, 2011, 02:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitar1580

Everyone's probably had one of these that is difficult to turn.  Has anyone used anything to lube the threads with success?

Josh P

dsk

When they are stuck I have tried to spray with som silicone spray intended for mig welders. I, m not sure if this was the reason to get them off, or just the time and forese used.
To prevent this, I have used a pencil and put on graphite on the threads, it seems to work.

dsk

Kenny C

I sprayed a very generous amount of dw 40 and put it beside a hair dryer on hi moving the handset in a circle every 2 minutes for 10 minutes and put some thick cardboard inbetween the handset and the two sides of a vise and it came loose great
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

bingster

I'll have to try the graphite trick, it seems like it would work well.  I've tried oils and vaseline in the past, and they're no help at all.
= DARRIN =

TelePlay

I've tried many lubes with limited success.

Even cleaned both sets of threads once I got the cap off quite well to get a tight cap to fit with limited success. Almost seems some caps were not made for the handset they were on when I got the phone.

But, I have found great utility in using two 12 inch diameter rubber circles cut out of a truck tire inner tube as grips to hold and turn a cap off a handset. A truck tire inner tube is thick enough to act as a good cushion in a vice and the rubber both cushions and holds the part being held by the vice.

guitar1580

Yes, the inner tube sounds like a good thing to have around the vise ... and I'll try the graphite too.  I've not had much luck with anything else either. 

Seems like sometimes the bakelite and the plastic just fight each other.  Like maybe one of them expanded or contracted at a different rate than the other?   Some thread right on, and others just dont want to start, or turn. 

Josh

cihensley@aol.com

Assuming you have them apart, coat both threads with heavy-duty rubbing compound. Thread loosely together, and repeatedly turn clockwise and counter clockwise until you wear enough material away that you can properly join them (after cleaning off the rubbing compound).

Chuck

Jim Stettler

Some suggest a light coating of a fine polishing compound between the threads.

This would not be my first choice.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

McHeath

I've had success with Vasoline.  It may be a climate thing, it's very dry in my region and so perhaps that helps the Vasoline work, I dunno. 

HarrySmith

I have not had this issue as of yet but I also have not attempted removal of the caps on my oldest sets either ;D
It sems to make sense to use polishing or buffing compound to remove some material and make the threads a slightly looser fit, a pumice paste or engine valve grinding compound may work also. After working the caps on & off a few times, affectively grinding the material away, similar to grinding a valve in an automotive cylinder head to get an even fit, cleaning it thoroughly and adding some graphite it should be a much easier operation. I remember hardware & auto parts stores selling small tubes of graphite for lubrication of lock cylinders which would probably be a good choice for this job. Using a pencil may not be the best as I believe there are other things in there that are not lubricants. 
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dennis Markham

As I've talked about before, especially with plastic caps on Bakelite, I like to use the hair dryer to warm them.  Then they come right off.  After cleaning and reassembling I will sometimes use the hair dryer to warm them enough to put them back on.  After that it's not like I have to take them off again, or at least not for a while.