News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE80 4 digit setting on bottom?

Started by axil, March 07, 2016, 11:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

axil

Hello can someone tell what this 4 digit setting is on the bottom of this AE80 means? There is already a volume wheel. The other side is under the ringer condenser. see pics
thx in advance dave

AE_Collector

"Manual Loop Compensator". This was set according to the distance that the phone was from the CO. It was quickly rendered obsolete in newer models that had "Automatic Loop Compensation" built in. Click the Search tab and enter manual compensator and a list of topics will come up that discuss this on AE phones.

A Turquoise AE 80 with a somewhat pink looking receiver cap! Those early 80's are nice with the chromed plunger buttons and about 6 poundsof weight to them. The phone definitely didn't get dragged towards you across the desk by the coil cord when you picked up the handset! The early network in those phones is referred to as a "Potted Network". Soon after the network advanced to a printed circuit board.

Terry

axil

thx terry  i never would have thought of that term to search. This phone has a pink case along with a green/turqoise handset w/ pink caps and your right it is heavy. i figured someone mixed and matched this. So was color scheme by design?

dave

AE_Collector

Yeah that was never offeed that way by AE or BC Tel. Someone had two phones and moved parts around. Tgere was an Antique store on Front Street in New Westminster that did that with all of their AE 80's.

BC Tel DID mix and match Styleline handsets and bases in their phone stores though. Stylelines came as two separate pieces that plugged together so a customer could chose a desk or wall base with a rotary or touch call handset.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6811.0

Anyone who wants an Instant Collection of AE Stylelines in maybe 15 different colours, I could put one (or several) together from my spares.

Terry