News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is there something wrong with...

Started by NorthernElectric, March 17, 2015, 07:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthernElectric

...the hookswitch in this phone?  The receiver seems to be hanging low to my uneducated eyes.

While we're at it, and to further my education, is that transmitter with all the salt shaker holes possibly original, or is that a sign of a repro part?  This is a Northern Electric 20-something I think, but the online seller has not stated the model #, only the make.
Cliff

Phonesrfun

There are several things wrong with it.  First, the transmitter is mounted on the back side of the perch so that facing the user, the receiver is on the right side and the rear of the base where the cord comes out has to face the user in order to speak into the transmitter.

Second, the receiver hook either is mounted upside down or it is materially bent.  I don't know how it could possibly be mounted upside down, so I vote for bent.

Third, it needs a new receive cord. 

I don't know what you mean by salt shaker holes in the transmitter.  Maybe someone else can help with the authenticity of the transmitter and the receiver.
-Bill G

DavePEI

Quote from: Phonesrfun on March 17, 2015, 08:22:39 PM
There are several things wrong with it.  First, the transmitter is mounted on the back side of the perch so that facing the user, the receiver is on the right side and the rear of the base where the cord comes out has to face the user in order to speak into the transmitter.

Second, the receiver hook either is mounted upside down or it is materially bent.  I don't know how it could possibly be mounted upside down, so I vote for bent.

Third, it needs a new receive cord.
Agreed! 100%
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

NorthernElectric

Thanks Phonesrfun.  I must clarify that I have never owned a candlestick phone and I have handled very few in person.  So I am trying to educate myself because I am thinking I might like to get one.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on March 17, 2015, 08:22:39 PMFirst, the transmitter is mounted on the back side of the perch so that facing the user, the receiver is on the right side and the rear of the base where the cord comes out has to face the user in order to speak into the transmitter.

I could see that.  I assumed that it was flipped around because somebody prefered to hold the stick with their left hand and the receiver to the right ear with the right hand.  I've seen several no dial candlesticks advertised for sale configured like this.  Do they have to break something to do this or can the transmitter be easily flipped?  I can see this arrangement wouldn't work out well on a candlestick with a dial, but unless something is broken by flipping the receiver around on a dial-less stick it could be easily put right, yes?

Quote from: Phonesrfun on March 17, 2015, 08:22:39 PMSecond, the receiver hook either is mounted upside down or it is materially bent.  I don't know how it could possibly be mounted upside down, so I vote for bent.

Thanks, I suspected that and getting others' opinions was the main purpose of my post.  I guess I was also wondering if this could indicate that the switch inside was also damaged.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on March 17, 2015, 08:22:39 PMThird, it needs a new receive cord.

I could see that too.  Most candlesticks that I see advertised for sale appear to have problems with the cords except for those that appear to have been restored or at least refurbished to some extent, and in that case I guess that most of these have repro cords.  Is that a fair assumption?

Quote from: Phonesrfun on March 17, 2015, 08:22:39 PMI don't know what you mean by salt shaker holes in the transmitter.  Maybe someone else can help with the authenticity of the transmitter and the receiver.
I was referring to all of the small holes inside the transmitter that you see at the base of the cone.  Sort of looks like the top of a salt shaker.  Or, like you would expect to see on the cap of a more modern transmitter.  I know there are a lot of repro parts available for candlestick phones so was wondering if any of the originals would have all the little holes down inside there.
Cliff

Sargeguy

It doesn't look that bad for a fixer upper, the parts appear to be correct.  How much is the seller asking?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Phonesrfun

Quote from: NorthernElectric on March 17, 2015, 08:55:24 PM
I was referring to all of the small holes inside the transmitter that you see at the base of the cone.  Sort of looks like the top of a salt shaker.  Or, like you would expect to see on the cap of a more modern transmitter.  I know there are a lot of repro parts available for candlestick phones so was wondering if any of the originals would have all the little holes down inside there.

Those holes are absolutely the way the original mouthpiece looked as well as the repros.  Most repros look very much like the originals, except for the fact that the originals were made of hard rubber or Bakelite and not molded plastic.

Back to the transmitter question, no it doesn't hurt anything to have the transmitter on backwards and can easily be fixed.
-Bill G

NorthernElectric

Quote from: Sargeguy on March 17, 2015, 11:34:19 PM
It doesn't look that bad for a fixer upper, the parts appear to be correct.  How much is the seller asking?

The seller is asking $150.  I thought that might be too much and was thinking of making a lower offer.
Cliff

NorthernElectric

Quote from: Phonesrfun on March 17, 2015, 11:51:16 PM
Quote from: NorthernElectric on March 17, 2015, 08:55:24 PM

Those holes are absolutely the way the original mouthpiece looked as well as the repros.  Most repros look very much like the originals, except for the fact that the originals were made of hard rubber or Bakelite and not molded plastic.

Back to the transmitter question, no it doesn't hurt anything to have the transmitter on backwards and can easily be fixed.

Thanks, that helps.
Cliff

Sargeguy

That is way too much.  Do you have any pictures of the back of the phone?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

NorthernElectric

Quote from: Sargeguy on March 19, 2015, 05:05:18 PM
That is way too much.  Do you have any pictures of the back of the phone?

Here's the 'back' (which is actually the front due to the flipped transmitter).   :)

Cliff

Sargeguy

it actually looks better from that angle. and $150 is not as far off as I thought.  $150 would be within reason if it had the correct receiver and the nickel was better.  I would go $100, maybe $125 if I really wanted it but I would want to make sure the switch is present, the sagging hook is a concern. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409